Soft inside, crispy outside and downright irresistible, air fryer pretzel bites are pillowy nuggets of snack-able goodness! Made with love and air-fried perfection, these golden dough morsels are the perfect blend of warm, soft and flavorful.
We love these as an afternoon snack, appetizer or game day munch!
You don't even have to make your own dough to enjoy a taste straight from the ballpark or county fair!
These simple ingredients can be found at any grocery store.
- refrigerated pizza dough - you can use refrigerated or frozen, thawed dough.
- baking soda
- kosher salt or other coarse salt like sea salt
See recipe card for quantities.
Here are a few substituions you can make in this recipe.
- Salt - I used kosher salt, but you can purchase pretzel salt if you want to go the extra mile.
- Dough - homemade pizza dough can be used in place of the store bought dough.
How to air fry pretzel bites
Be sure to set the dough out to come to room temperature an hour before you get started making your pretzel bites. This will allow the dough to easily stretch and retain its shape.
Step 1: Roll the dough into a rectangle about 8 inches by 4 inches. Use a pizza cutter to cut the dough into four long strips.
Step 2: Roll each strip into a log, smoothing out seams the best you can.
Step 3: Cut each strip into eight equal size pieces. I find it's easiest to cut the strip in half, then cut each half in half until there are eight pieces.
Step 4: Bring water and baking soda to a gentle boil in a large pot. Work in batches to drop the dough balls into the water and cook for 45-60 seconds.
Step 5: Use a slotted spoon to remove the nuggets to a paper plate lined plate. Immediately sprinkle with a portion of the kosher salt.
Step 6: Grease an air fryer basket with non stick cooking spray. Add the pretzel bites to the air fryer basket.
Cook for 7 minutes until light golden brown.
Depending on the size of your air fryer model, you may need to cook these in batches. I use an Cuisinart Air Fryer Convection oven and can cook this recipe in two batches.
Farm Girl Tip: The second batch will cook faster than the first batch because the air fryer is pre-heated. You'll likely need only 4-5 minutes for the second or third batch.
Skip the salt and cook as directed. After cooking, roll the pretzel bites in melted butter. Roll immediately in a cinnamon sugar blend for a taste of Auntie Anne's.
What to serve with soft pretzel bites
You can eat the pretzel bites straight out of the air fryer, or you can pair them with a cheese sauce, healthy ranch dressing, honey mustard or whole grain mustard for dipping.
My jalapeno popper cheese ball makes a great compliment to these bite sized snacks, too!
If making batches, the second and third batches will cook much faster because the air fryer is preheated.
I tested this recipe using a variety of methods. The baking soda step is necessary, in my opinion.
It adds a hint of sea salt taste to the entire outside crust of the pretzel bites. It's worth it and only takes and extra minute!
These pretzel bites are best eaten after baking in the air fryer. You can reheat them in the oven or air fryer to give them a refresh.
To reheat in the air fryer, preheat your air fryer to 350°F for a few minutes, then cook bites for 2-3 minutes.
Alternatively, you can freeze them and reheat at a later time.
Looking for other appetizer recipes? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with air fryer pretzel bites:
Air Fryer Pretzel Bites
- 1 pound refrigerated pizza dough
- ¼ cup baking soda
- 1 Tablespoon kosher salt
- 4 cups water
- Remove dough from the refrigerator and let come to room temperature for at least 30 minutes. (This will make it easier to roll out the dough).
- In a large pot, bring water and baking soda to a gentle boil.
- Roll the pizza dough into a rectangle, about 8". x&" wide. Use a sharp knife or pizza cutter to cut the dough into four long strips.
- Cut each strip in half into two pieces. Cut each half into 4 pieces. You'll have a total of 32 pieces when you're done.
- Working in batches, drop the dough into the water and cook for 45-60 seconds. Remove dough with a slotted spoon and transfer to a paper twoel lined plate. Immediately sprinkle the pretzel bites with salt. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Lightly spray the air fryer basket with nonstick cooking spray. Pplace a portion of the pretzel bites into the basket and cook at 375*F for 7 minutes until light golden brown. Repeat with the remaining bites. *Note: the second or third batch will cook more quickly as the air fryer is preheated.