Get your taste buds ready for the flavors of shredded buffalo chicken! Tender, succulent chicken is smothered in zesty buffalo sauce and tempered with cream cheese, making a drool-worthy blend of heat and tanginess.
Use the pulled chicken for sliders, sandwiches and wraps.
Why you'll love this recipe
- This recipe is easy to make in the crockpot, oven or Instant Pot.
- You can freeze leftovers for later. Simply thaw and reheat.
- If you're a fan of meal prepping on Sundays, you'll love this recipe as a go-to protein. You can use this shredded buffalo chicken in so many ways, you'll be amazed. Hey, that rhymes!
Here's what you need from the grocery store, pantry or fridge.
- boneless skinless chicken breasts
- hot pepper sauce, such as Frank's RedHot
- unsalted butter
- Worcestershire sauce - to add some complex flavors, not just heat
- garlic powder
- cream cheese - this tones down the heat, keeping this recipe family friendly
- Use whatever buffalo sauce you prefer. My fav is Frank's Red Hot.
- You can use low fat cream cheese in this recipe.
Crock Pot Buffalo Shredded Chicken
Who doesn't love a crockpot? They're the secret weapon of farm wives and busy families nation wide. Hey, we need all the kitchen tools at our disposal!
Add chicken breasts to your cooker.
Add the butter, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder.
Cook for five hours, then remove the chicken breasts to be shredded.
Return cooked chicken to the cooker and add cream cheese. Stir to combine.
To make buffalo chicken on the stovetop
Add ingredients except for cream cheese) to a Dutch oven or medium sized pot. Cook on medium high heat until it begins to bubble.
Reduce the heat to low and cook for 20-30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked to a temperature of 165°F when measured with a digital meat thermometer.
Add cream cheese and stir in to melt.
Shredded Buffalo Chicken in the Instant Pot
Follow instructions as per slow cooker. Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes followed by a 10 minute natural pressure release.
Shred chicken and add the cream cheese to combine.
How to store leftovers
Store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
Freezer Meal: This can be made ahead of time and frozen, then thawed and cooked. This makes is a perfect harvest meal option to have ready to go.
What to make with shredded buffalo chicken
If your mouth isn't watering yet, let's see what we can do here! You can use shredded buffalo chicken to make:
- Use the meat to make a protein packed buffalo chicken salad. Add cucumbers and tomatoes. Top with a drizzle of ranch dressing and some creamy avocado slices.
- Use leftovers to jumpstart making buffalo chicken stuffed peppers, buffalo chicken quesadillas or buffalo chicken sliders.
- Serve in lettuce cups for a healthy and low carb meal or add to a whole grain tortilla to make buffalo chicken wraps!
Top with shredded cheddar cheese or blue cheese crumbles.
Reduce the amount of cream cheese used to make a less saucy version of this recipe.
You can remove your buffalo chicken from the slow cooker and shred with two forks.
Another alternative - put it into your stand mixer and let the paddle attachment do the shredding.
Tip: I like to put a paper plate over the top to keep food from flying out the of the mixer!
More Buffalo Chicken Recipes
Other crock pot recipes you'll love
What to serve with shredded buffalo chicken
This post was originally published July 2018 and given a refresh June 2023.
Shredded Buffalo Chicken
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ⅔ cup hot pepper sauce such as Frank's RedHot
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- salt to taste
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- Ranch dressing for topping (optional)
- Combine all ingredients EXCEPT cream cheese in a crock pot.
- Cook for 4-5 hours on low until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken to shred with two forks or shred chicken using an electric mixer. Return the shredded meat to the pot. Add cream cheese and stir to combine, melting the cream cheese. Use tongs to serve.
TO MAKE AS A FREEZER MEAL
- In a gallon sized ziplock bag, add all ingredients EXCEPT for cream cheese. Set aside cream cheese for cooking day. Remove excess air and freeze flat.
TO COOK FROM FROZEN
- Place bag contents into a crockpot. Cook 4-5 hours on low until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken to shred with two forks or using an electric mixer.
- Return to sauce mixture add cream cheese. Stir until cream cheese is melted and incorporated.