Great as a snack or meal, these air fryer buffalo chicken egg rolls are versatile and ready in under 20 minutes. If you had a chicken dinner the night before, use up the leftovers in this recipe for a game day snack or light dinner!
A recipe that hits all of my preferences is always a winner. As a busy mom, I like food that’s easy to prepare but not too “junky.” I also like fast recipes, as well as recipes that let me avoid food waste. (Throwing away leftovers isn’t just throwing away money…it always comes with a lot of mom guilt for me, too.)
And....since we live surrounded by corn fields and soybean fields, (for reals, not an exaggeration) a trip to grab a quick tasty bite isn't always an option.
These baked buffalo chicken egg rolls tick all the boxes. Quick and simple, filling and family-friendly, they’re perfect as both a field meal idea and a game-day snack.
Plus, now you have a use for the remains of last night’s rotisserie chicken dinner, which is A+ win to me. Your loved ones will keep pestering you for an additional batch or two of these egg rolls, that’s for sure!
Why I Love This Appetizer
Everyone loves buffalo chicken...from buffalo chicken dip to traditional buffalo wings and even crispy buffalo cauliflower, they're everyone's favorite appetizers. But these egg rolls, in particular, are fantastic because they’re…
Fast – I mean lightning fast. These are a perfect snack or meal if your family’s schedule is packed because they’re done in less than 20 minutes. In fact, if you remove the prep time, each batch takes less than 10 minutes to cook.
Simple, yet delicious – You only need a few ingredients for big flavor when it comes to these egg rolls. Better yet, you can buy the ingredients at the store or make them at home, depending on how much time and energy you have.
You’ll only need five common ingredients for these egg rolls, which makes them all the more convenient!
- Shredded chicken – I tend to use leftover chicken for this, like after an Instant Pot whole chicken dinner. You could also use rotisserie chicken.
- Buffalo wing sauce – like Sweet Baby Ray’s, or whatever other brand you like (even a homemade recipe). If you have a bottle of this sauce in your fridge, you can use is again for making buffalo chicken stuffed peppers. No one trick pony ingredients here!
- Cheddar cheese and Greek yogurt – these will bind your chicken filling together (as well as add a touch of savory flavor).
- Egg roll wrappers – you’ll need 8-10 of them per batch. I usually find these in the produce aisle at the grocery store.
In terms of non-edible supplies, you’ll also need nonstick cooking spray.
How To Make Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls in an Air Fryer
I’d say the only somewhat complicated part of this recipe is rolling up the egg rolls, but even then, it’s not hard at all.
Step 1: Make your egg roll filling. Mix all the ingredients together except for the egg roll wrappers.
Then place two heaping tablespoons of the mixture onto the center of an egg roll wrapper.
Step 2: Fold your egg rolls. Grab a small bowl of water. Dip your fingers in it to wet the edges of the wrapper Alternatively you can use a pastry brush, but then that's just one more dish to wash!
Here's your folding technique: Fold the left and right corners in, overlapping one another.
Now fold the bottom corner up to begin to close the egg roll.
Then fold and roll the top corner down, fully enclosing the egg roll. Congratulations, you just made homemade egg rolls!
Step 3: Cook your egg rolls. Add the rolls to your air fryer basket and spray it down with non-stick cooking spray. Cook at 350F for 5 minutes on one side.
Use tongs to flip the egg rolls, spray down the other side with cooking spray, and cook for 3 minutes on the other side.
Step 4: Enjoy your rolls! Remove the rolls and let them cool before eating. Dip them in your favorite dressing, like blue cheese or homemade ranch dressing.
To make buffalo chicken egg rolls in the oven
If you don't have an air fryer, you can still make this buffalo chicken appetizer. They won't be quite as crunchy as the air fryer but will still be tasty!
Preheat your oven to 425°F. Place prepared egg rolls on a rimmed baking sheet.
Bake 15-20 minutes or until light brown and toasty.
Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls Recipe FAQs
How long does it take to make baked buffalo chicken egg rolls?
It takes 10 minutes to prep the ingredients and 8 minutes per batch to cook them. It’s a quick snack or small meal, as I said!
Can you freeze these egg rolls?
Yes, and for that reason, they’re great to make ahead. In an airtight container or freezer bag, they’ll stay fresh for 6 months or so. To reheat them, use the air fryer to cook them for about 3-5 minutes after they’ve thawed.
I have leftover egg roll wrappers. Can I freeze them?
Yes, for sure! Save your package of egg roll wrappers for another batch of egg rolls by putting them in a ziplock freezer bag. They'll keep for a month or two.
Do you recommend any additions to the recipe?
For those who like to experiment, try using mozzarella cheese and/or cream cheese with or instead of cheddar cheese. You can also add small chopped green onions for the crunch. Otherwise, I think one of the best things about this recipe is its simplicity!
Other Air Fryer Recipes You’ll Enjoy
- Air Fryer Jalapeno Poppers in Bacon
- Air Fryer Bratwurst
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Wedges
- Air Fryer Zucchini Fries
- Air Fryer Apple Crisp
Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls in the Air Fryer
- 16 ounces cooked shredded chicken
- ½ cup buffalo wing sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 16 egg roll wrappers
- celery sticks blue cheese dressing, ranch dressing for serving
- non-stick cooking spray
- Pre-heat the air fryer at 350°F for 3-4 minutes.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix all the ingredients (except for the egg roll wrappers) together to make the egg roll filling.
- Lay the egg roll wrapper on a flat surface. Place two heaping tablespoons of the filling onto the center of the egg roll wrapper.
- Fill a small bowl with cold water. Dip your finger in the water to wet it, then run it along the corners of the egg roll wrapper.
- To wrap the egg roll, fold the left and right sides of the egg roll wrapper in to the center. Fold the bottom corner up to meet the edges and continue rolling to meet the top edge.
- Add the egg rolls to your air fryer basket. Spray the tops of the egg rolls with non-stick cooking spray. (Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to cook in batches.) Cook at 350°F for 6-7 minutes on one side.
- Use tongs to flip the egg rolls and spray the remaining side with non-stick cooking spray. Cook for another 4-5 minutes on the other side until they've turned a light golden brown.
Remove and let cool before eating. They'll be hot! Dip in your favorite dressing like ranch or blue cheese and serve with celery sticks.