Chicken Burrito Bowls. I think every household probably has a go-to meal and this is certainly one of ours.
Each spring there’s a flurry of activity as we prepare to plant. Seed deliveries, equipment maintenance and last minute projects that need to be tended to. The itch to get into the field seems to start for farmers as soon as the snow starts to melt. When the first tractor is spotted pulling into a field, I guarantee a dozen farmers are scrambling to their sheds to get their tractors fired up.
But we also have the rush of the end of the school year – sporting events, recitals, end of year picnics, field trips and this year – our daughter Ava will have a middle school graduation. It’s hard to believe in a few short months, she’ll be starting high school.
I won’t get all sappy on you. Instead, I’ll talk about food because that’s part of the reason you’re following along.
Let’s talk about one of my favorite cooking vessels, the slow cooker.
You may have heard about my love of the Instant Pot, or my favorite cast iron pan, or my love of enamel cookware. Those all have their places in my kitchen but the one small appliance that gets the most use is by far our slow cooker. It’s been used for parties and family dinners. It’s heated everything from casseroles to breakfasts to adult beverages. (Yes, really).
When spring rolls around and the rumble of tractors passing by can be heard, the slow cooker has a permanent parking space on my counter.
You’ll love this recipe because the hardest work you’ll have to do is the cutting of an onion. And some can opening but push through. You can do it!
Last night we had track practice plus a dance recital rehearsal. (The dance was for our three-year-old Eleanor, not me.) It was one of those “how am I going to make dinner work?” kind of nights since I knew I’d be driving loops through the southern part of our county. Naturally, the Chicken Burrito Bowls rose to the occasion.
If you have nights where you feel like you know you’re going to need a quick and easy meal, give these Chicken Burrito Bowls a try. Only 5 minutes of prep and you’ll be wanting to shout “Ole`!”
Chicken Burrito Bowls
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 5 oz can diced green chilis (if you like a little extra spice)
- 1 15 ozounce can black OR pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 pounds chicken breasts (about 3)
- 1/2 chopped red or white onion
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 packet or serving of taco seasoning
- Rice (optional)
- Lime wedges (optional)
- Cilantro (optional)
- Avocado (optional)
- Sour Cream (optional)
- Shredded Cheddar (optional)
- In your slow cooker combine all ingredients through taco seasoning. Cook for 3-4 hours or until chicken is cooked. (Everyone’s crock pot is different depending on shape, size, etc..)
- Remove chicken and shred, then return to the slow cooker to combine.
- Serve with rice (or cauliflower rice) and optional toppings