Healthy chicken cordon bleu with tender juicy chicken, warm, salty ham and melty Swiss Cheese is a quick and tasty one pan main dish!
I grew up eating chicken cordon bleu but to be honest, it was the kind delivered by the Schwans delivery driver.
This post uses product from Clifty Farm Country Meats but the recipe and opinions are all my own.
You’ve seen these versions of chicken cordon bleu.
These are the little individual packets of stuffed chicken you can get in the grocery store. You know, the ones stuffed with butter or ham and cheese.
As a kid we freakin’ loved these and in our minds it was the best chicken cordon bleu recipe EVER!
But luckily, time marches on and our tastes tend to improve a bit.
Healthy Chicken Cordon Bleu
Easy chicken cordon bleu is almost as easy to make as the mass produced baked chicken version but it is waaaaaay tastier, it’s healthier and it’s low carb and gluten free, too.
So really, what’s not to love?
How to Make Healthy Chicken Cordon Bleu
Boneless skinless chicken breasts get pan seared in a little olive oil, seasoned with simple salt and fresh cracked black pepper.
No bread crumbs here, we’re keeping things super simple and lowering the saturated fat, too.
When your chicken is done cooking, top it with sliced Swiss cheese and sliced Clifty Farm Country Ham Biscuit Cut Slices.
Now, it’s time to make the Dijon sauce which is downright delicious!
Add the chicken broth to the pan, scraping up and little browned bits of yumminess. Cook the chicken broth until it reduces by half. This takes about 1-2 minutes. then remove from the heat.
Add the Dijon mustard and the butter, stirring to combine.
Top the cooked chicken, ham and cheese with the creamy Dijon sauce.
Serve with Low Carb Cauliflower Mash and steamed broccoli or whatever sides you prefer!
Other healthy chicken recipes you’ll love:
I’d love if you’d give my recipe a rating! If you make this, come back to tell us what you think!
Note: I may use referral or affiliate links for the products I love.
Healthy Chicken Cordon Bleu
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound chicken breasts if thick slice in half lengthwise
- salt and pepper
- 4 slices Clifty Farm Country Ham Biscuit Cut Slices
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp butter
TO MAKE THE CHICKEN
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add olive oil to heated pan.
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Add chicken breasts to the pan, cooking on both sides until cooked through.
- Once the chicken is cooked, top each chicken breast with a slice of Swiss cheese and a slice of cooked ham. Cover with the lid and continue to cook until cheese is melted. Remove the chicken from pan and set aside to keep warm.
TO MAKE THE DIJON SAUCE
- Over medium high heat, add the chicken broth to the pan, scraping up and little browned bits. Cook until the broth is reduced by half, about 1-2 minutes, then remove from the heat.
- Add Dijon mustard and the butter, stirring to combine.
- Top the cooked chicken, ham and cheese with the creamy Dijon sauce. Serve immediately.