A quick and low carb meal, Keto Egg Roll in a Bowl is a one pan dinner made with ground pork sausage, veggies and spices. All the taste of an egg roll with none of the hassle, Keto egg roll in a bowl is ready in under 20 minutes!
A few years ago everyone and their brother created an easy recipe for egg roll in a bowl. And now, I’m joining the club!
I wouldn’t be doing my job if I didn’t share this meal with you. I mean, what’s not to love about this recipe?
The recipe I’m sharing is keto egg roll in a bowl for some of my friends following that diet. I happen to enjoy low carb meals, too!
About this recipe
So what’s with this recipe, anyway?
Basically, this is a way to enjoy all of the taste of an egg roll recipe, but without the carbs in the wrapper, frying, etc. Hence, a low carb egg roll without the insides.
How to make egg roll in a bowl
The instructions are pretty simple…brown your sausage, add the water, coleslaw mix (this is kind of genius right – no chopping!) garlic powder, sesame oil, ginger, and green onions. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
Finish the whole thing off with your condiment of choice – coconut aminos, tamari, soy sauce, rice vinegar and a dash of toasted sesame oil.
Don’t skip the toasted sesame oil, it’s going to up your egg roll skillet game!
Variations for Keto Egg Roll in a Bowl
With some variations, you can make this into a recipe that is paleo, Whole 30, Weight Watchers…you name it and there’s a variation. You just can’t do all of them at once.
But you know that.
Speaking of variations, let’s talk about those!
To make this sausage and cabbage recipe mainstream, you can totally use tamari. Or, even use soy sauce if you want, though you may want to cut back on the amount because of the salt factor.
To keep it paleo or Whole30, use the coconut aminos.
Weight Watchers followers, use ground turkey for your egg roll in a bowl, if you prefer to keep your points down.
Substitute 1/2 tablespoon fresh ginger for the ground ginger, if you have it laying around. I never do, so ground ginger it is for me!
Can you freeze egg roll in a bowl
Yes!!! Are you ready for this???
You can make this in advance and then freeze portions to heat and serve later! How’s that for some meal prep love?
Other low carb recipes you’ll love
- Low Carb Crustless Sausage Quiche
- Pepperoni Pizza Chicken Bake
- Crustless Quiche with Bacon, Broccoli and Cheddar
- Low Carb Unstuffed Pepper Skillet
P.S. If you love easy recipes, be sure to join my community in the Kitchen Nook on Facebook! We have all sorts of fun and behind the scenes stuff going on in there. Join us!
Easy Keto Egg Roll in a Bowl
- 1¼ lb. spicy bulk pork sausage
- ¼ cup water
- 14 oz. package classic coleslaw mix with cabbage and carrots
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 2 Tbsp. green onions chopped
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. coconut aminos or tamari or soy sauce for non-keto
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp. toasted sesame seeds Optional for garnish
- Heat a large high-sided skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, breaking the meat into small pieces as it cooks, for approximately 5-6 minutes. Once sausage is no longer pink, remove from heat and carefully drain excess grease from pan. Safety Tip: Wipe off any excess fat that drips down the side of the pan before returning to burner.
- Return skillet to heat. Add water and scrape up brown bits from the bottom of the pan with a spatula. Reduce heat to medium and add coleslaw mix, garlic powder, sesame oil, ginger, and green onions. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and cook, stirring frequently, until the cabbage wilts and the carrot softens, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Add rice vinegar and coconut aminos and stir to combine. Cook another 1-2 minutes or until heated through. Remove from heat and transfer to a serving platter or bowl. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds, if using, and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Note: I may use referral or affiliate links for the products I love.