A quick and low carb meal, this Unstuffed Egg Roll recipe has the taste of a traditional egg roll made into a one pan dinner.
Do you love egg rolls but don’t have time to make them from scratch?
Here’s an easy Unstuffed Egg Roll Recipe that will save you time without sacrificing flavor. These are perfect for a quick dinner - it's ready in 20 minutes and of course, has some farm girl shortcuts thrown in...of course!
Why you'll love this unstuffed egg roll skillet
Basically, this is a way to enjoy all of the taste of an egg roll recipe like my bufffalo chicken egg rolls, but without the carbs in the egg roll wrapper. There's no grease with frying, and it's a low carb version of egg rolls. In a bowl. Obviously.
It has busy weeknights written alllllll over it.
Truly, it's a beautiful thing. And as I said, it's ready in 20 minutes. You can't beat that!
Plus, more and more grocery stores are carrying ground pork which is super budget friendly and leaner than you probably think!
I use it all the time in these dinner recipes using ground pork!
- pork sausage - you can use spicy pork sausage, lean ground beef or substitute ground chicken or ground turkey.
- coleslaw mix with cabbage and carrots - Save yourself some time by buying a pre-cut mix at the grocery store, or you can chop your own carrots and cabbage. Perfect if you have them from your garden this summer!
- spices - garlic powder, ground ginger, salt, pepper
- toasted sesame oil
- green onions - these aren't essential, but they sure add a nice fresh taste!
- rice vinegar
- coconut aminos or tamari - soy sauce also works if you're non-keto
- sesame seeds - these are for garnish
How to make egg roll in a bowl
The instructions are pretty simple...
Step 1. Brown your sausage or ground meat.
Step 2. Add the water, coleslaw mix (this is kind of genius right - no chopping!) garlic powder, sesame oil, ginger, and green onions. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
Finish the whole thing off with your condiment of choice - coconut aminos, tamari, soy sauce, rice vinegar and a dash of toasted sesame oil.
Don't skip the toasted sesame oil, it's going to up your egg roll skillet game!
Variations for Keto Egg Roll in a Bowl
With some variations, you can make this into a recipe that is paleo, Whole 30, or weight watchers. You name it and there's a variation.
- To make this sausage and cabbage recipe mainstream, you can totally use tamari. Or, even use soy sauce if you want, though you may want to cut back on the amount because of the salt factor.
- To keep it paleo or Whole30, use the coconut aminos.
- Want a little extra crunch? Add some sliced water chestnuts
- Like spice? Sriracha sauce is your best bet.
- Substitute ½ tablespoon fresh ginger for the ground ginger, if you have it laying around. I never do, so ground ginger it is for me!
What to serve with egg roll in a bowl
You can serve this over cauliflower fried rice, slow cooker brown rice, or eat it as is.
Yes, it does reheat well! Unlike a traditional egg roll, this will not get soggy, making it a perfect candidate for weekday meal prep!
Yes!!! Are you ready for this??? You can make this in advance and then freeze portions to heat and serve later! How's that for some meal prep love?
Other low carb recipes you'll love
- Low Carb Crustless Sausage Quiche
- Pepperoni Pizza Chicken Bake
- Easy Pork Stir Fry
- Low Carb Unstuffed Pepper Skillet
- Keto Chicken Salad
If you make these egg roll bowls, please leave a recipe rating or comment below. I'd love to hear from you!
Unstuffed Egg Roll in a Bowl
A quick and low carb meal, Keto Egg Roll in a Bowl is a one pan dinner made with ground pork sausage, veggies and spices.
- 1¼ pound spicy bulk pork sausage
- ¼ cup water
- 14 ounce package classic coleslaw mix with cabbage and carrots
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 Tablespoon green onions, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 Tablespoon coconut aminos or tamari , or soy sauce for non-keto
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 Tablespoon toasted sesame seeds Optional, for garnish
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, breaking the meat into small pieces as it cooks, for about 5-6 minutes. Once sausage is no longer pink, remove from heat and carefully drain excess grease from pan.
- Return skillet to heat. Add water and scrape up brown bits from the bottom of the pan with a spatula. Reduce heat to medium and add coleslaw mix, garlic powder, sesame oil, ginger, and green onions. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and cook, stirring frequently, until the cabbage wilts and the carrot softens, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Add rice vinegar and coconut aminos and stir to combine. Cook another 1-2 minutes or until heated through.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a serving platter or bowl. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds, if using, and serve immediately.
*to keep this unstuffed egg roll in a bowl gluten free, be sure to check your tamari sauce or coconut aminos label.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 368Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 9gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 68mgSodium: 726mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 16g
CLICK HERE FOR 100+ ON THE GO FIELD MEAL IDEAS
Original Recipe published October 2019, new photos and enhanced instructions added February 2022.
I am going to try this one too. I have made a version of this before and enjoyed it. I love that you have the freezer instructions along with it. Perfect for meal prep.
I love this deconstructed egg roll! Such a delicious bowl of keto-goodness!
So easy to make and delicious, this was a great hit at my home today!
Great keto recipe for eggroll lovers! All the flavor less carbs and less guilt!