When you’re looking for a mashed potato alternative ready in under 30 minutes, pair health and delicious low carb cauliflower mash with beef, pork or chicken.
You knew it was coming right? First came cauliflower rice, so it only makes sense that we work out a low carb alternative to mashed potatoes.
Low Carb Cauliflower Mash
I have nothing against potatoes, really. But after I hit 40, I found that it wasn’t so easy to take off the occasional pounds that inevitably crept out.
So I started to watch my carb intake. And quite honestly, my nightly ice cream intake had to decrease, too.
Vanilla, you will always have my heart.
And that’s when I started playing around with mashed cauliflower. And once I had this easy recipe down, it won me over.
Not quite as much as ice cream, but you really can’t compare the two, can you???
And in addition to being a keto cauliflower mash, it’s also paleo mashed cauliflower. It’s a great side dish to pair with my keto meatloaf muffins, too!
How to Make Easy Mashed Cauliflower
Low Carb Cauliflower mash is a great low carb alternative to mashed potatoes. This flavorful mashed cauliflower pairs well with beef, pork or chicken.
Use it for a topping on shepherds pie, or serve it right along the other guys on the holiday table.
Here’s how to make mashed cauliflower without any fuss – perfect for weeknight dinners!
Steam the cauliflower
Place the cauliflower florets and the garlic cloves into a steamer basket set over a pot of gently boiling water. Cover and steam until the cauliflower is fork-tender, around 15 minutes.
Make the mash
Transfer the cauliflower and garlic to a food processor or blender and add the olive oil, milk, garlic powder, and onion powder. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and process until smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust the seasonings, as desired.
Eat it up!
Transfer to a serving bowl and top with fresh chives before serving.
Your low carb counting guests will thank you for the alternative! You can pair it with my slow cooker Pork Roast and Sauerkraut Recipe for a healthy and hearty meal.
Tips for Making Mashed Cauliflower
- Steaming the garlic with cauliflower will remove some of the “bite” that garlic has making it blend into the recipe.
- For a quick shortcut, use frozen cauliflower or pre-chopped cauliflower
- If you have an immersion blender, you may use that instead of a food processor.
Other low carb recipes:
- Crustless Sausage and Cheddar Quiche
- Oven Roasted Broccoli with Garlic and Parmesan
- Low Carb Crustless Quiche with Bacon, Broccoli and Cheddar
- Low Carb Unstuffed Pepper Skillet
- 1 medium cauliflower head, florets only
- 2-3 whole garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp whole milk
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 3 Tbsp fresh chives, chopped
- Place the cauliflower florets and the garlic cloves into a steamer basket set over a pot of gently boiling water. Cover and steam until the cauliflower is fork-tender, around 15 minutes.
- Transfer the cauliflower and garlic to a food processor or blender and add the olive oil, almond milk, garlic powder, and onion powder. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and process until smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust the seasonings, as desired.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and top with fresh chives before serving.
Tip: Steaming the garlic along with the cauliflower will remove the raw edge and make it more tender.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 grams
Amount Per Serving Calories 110Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 1mgSodium 48mgCarbohydrates 9gFiber 3gSugar 3gProtein 3g