This is the best oven roasted broccoli with garlic and parmesan and a hint of lemon to lighten things up. Give this a try as a family friendly side dish!
Let’s be honest, feeding your family can sometimes be a drag.
I mean, you make dinner every night and sometimes with it comes an eye roll from the kiddos. Or even worse, refusal to eat what you have been slaving over. A lesser person might throw in the towel, so to speak.
But not you. Nope! You’re here which means you are tackling this feeding the family thing. I am so proud of you!
Here’s your reward for getting this far. I have a fresh idea that takes minimal time and effort on your part.
As an added bonus, even your kids will eat this oven roasted broccoli with garlic and parmesan!
Five minutes is all you need to get this ready to go.
For all of you who have picky eaters. You know, the ones who only like corn and potatoes as vegetables. We’ve gotta keep introducing them to new things, right.
Here’s why this recipe is going to work for you.
Roasting any vegetable changes the flavor profile. Tastes become more subtle and smooth. In the case of broccoli, it caramelizes and sweetens, and the roasted flavors mellow it out.
Even if you, or your family, don’t like broccoli, try preparing it this way one time for them. I’ve had non-broccoli lovers say this is the best broccoli ever!
It’s super simple to prep. First, wash your broccoli and cut it into generous bite size florets.
How to make oven roasted broccoli
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
Place your broccoli on a sheet pan, then drizzle with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Toss gently with your hands to combine. Then spread the broccoli evenly on the pan. You don’t want to crowd the pan or it will steam instead of roast, which entirely defeats our purpose here, right?
Cook in oven until edges of broccoli begins to slightly brown and stems begin to become crisp-tender, about 20 minutes.
Remove from oven.
Use a microplane to zest your lemon. It’s a fun task (I’m a dork) and the zest adds great flavor without calories.
And then top with parmesan cheese – well who doesn’t like cheese?
Transfer to a serving bowl.
Are you excited about this recipe? Save it to Pinterest for busy weeknight dinners!
A few tips for you…
- you can adjust the salt and pepper based on your needs and preferences.
- Use fresh broccoli, not frozen in this recipe. You need a dry heat to roast the broccoli.
- trim the leaves from the broccoli stalks. You can include as much or as little of the stalk as you’d like. If it’s very thick or tough you may want to peel or trim it.
- mix up the spices. The recipe as outlined called for dried basil, but you could add red chili pepper flakes for a little zing or oregano for an Italian flair .
- Oven roasted broccoli tastes great right out of the oven or at room temperature.
Other recipes you’ll love…
- Mediterranean Roasted Veggies
- Roasted Balsamic Brussels Sprouts
- Easy Individual Lasagna Cups
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon recipe
So what do you think? Report back to me and share what your family says by commenting below, or tag me at #thisfarmgirlcooks!
Until next time!
Made with love,
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 heads fresh broccoli, washed and florets trimmed
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place broccoli on a sheet pan, then drizzle with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Toss gently with hands to combine. Spread evenly on pan.
- Cook in oven until edges of broccoli begins to slightly brown and stems begin to become crisp-tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, top with lemon zest and parmesan. Transfer to a serving bowl.
Use fresh broccoli for this recipe as the roasting process needs a dry heat. Do not stir while roasting. A microplane is an easy tool to use for zesting lemon and other ingredients. Save time by using refrigerated, already minced garlic. You can find it in the produce section.
Calories 54 | Total Fat 3.8g |Saturated Fat 0.6g | Cholesterol 0mg | Sodium 172mg | Total Carbohydrate 4.5g | Dietary Fiber 1.6g | Total Sugars 1.2g | Protein 1.8g | Calcium 33mg | Potassium 198mg
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 54Unsaturated Fat: 0g