Taco Tuesday just got tastier with this cilantro lime brown rice. It's perfect to serve up with your burrito bowls, tacos or any Tex-Mex inspired recipe.
Only 3 ingredients mean this is an easy weeknight side dish infused with lime flavor and tender rice. You're gonna love this one!!
Why you'll love this cilantro rice
Raise you hand if you’ve ever had Chipotle's cilantro lime rice. This is a copycat of Chipotle, the main difference being that you don't have to fork out the extra money for takeout or leave the house!
Plain rice is transformed with lime flavor in this Cilantro Lime Brown Rice, just like the Mexican restaurants down the street! It's the perfect side dish to make burrito bowls, or as a side for any of your favorite taco recipes.
Here’s the beauty in this healthy side dish recipe…
You can make cilantro lime rice with brown rice, white rice, or even jasmine rice. So whatever you have, you can make it work for you.
Pssssstttt….you can even make this recipe with cauliflower rice. BOOM.
There are only three, count 'em, 3 ingredients for this recipe.We're starting with plain brown rice that's already been cooked.
- Cooked long grain brown rice - it's nutty and chewy, a healthy whole grain and good source of fiber.
- Lime - I like to use a healthy dose of lime, but for less citrus flavor you can cut back on it. We're using the lime zest and those oils from the peel, too.
- Cilantro - people either love this or hate it. I happen to love, love, LOVE this herb. It reminders me of parsley with a hint of citrus.
How to make cilantro lime brown rice.
We've already cooked the rice, so now that's outta the way, we simply need to give it a fluff with a fork and add fresh lime juice, lime zest and cilantro to blend.
Here's a tip for you...You can make brown rice in your slow cooker, buy frozen steam-able rice, or buy pre-made packets of rice. All three of these options are fabulous shortcuts.
If you are anti-cilantro, stop hurling limes at your screen. I know from experience, people either love cilantro or hate it.
Leave it out if you want and just go for lime. You could sub in fresh parsley, too. It still gives a wonderful color and flavor and there's no hard feelings, right???
Recipe Tips and Variations
Use plain white rice instead of brown rice.
Use lemon juice instead of lime juice. You'll still get the citrus flavor (but lime is my #1 pick here)
For fluffy brown rice, be sure to leave the lid on while it cooks. Noooo peeking! When it's cooked through, use a fork to fluff it.
For best results, I add a pinch of salt to the water before it begins boiling. You can see more about how to cook brown rice here.
How do I store leftover rice?
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
How to reheat leftover rice?
I add a tablespoon or so of water to the rice, cover it, and heat it in the microwave. The steam from the water and covering it helps to bring it back to life.
What to serve with cilantro lime rice
I love to make shredded beef burrito bowls, Crockpot Mexican shredded chicken, sheet pan chicken fajitas and Buffalo Shrimp Tacos with cilantro lime rice. This black bean tacos recipe is pretty amazing, too!
As a Tex Mex food lover, you can be sure I'll be adding more ways you can use this side dish for your kitchen cooking benefit!
More Mexican recipes
If you make this cilantro lime brown rice recipe, leave a star rating or review below. I'd love to hear from you!
Cilantro Lime Brown Rice
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 3 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 3 Tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- fresh lime wedges for squeezing over the top
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Prepare rice according to package directions.
- Fluff cooked rice with a fork and stir in fresh lime juice, lime zest, and cilantro until blended. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste and serve with lime wedges for squeezing over the top.