If you’re looking for a versatile dinner, Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Beef is it! Use this easy recipe to make shredded beef for tacos, burritos, loaded nachos and more!
Only 15 minutes of prep required and your house will smell better than Chipotle as it cooks, yielding fall apart tender meat!
Why I love Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Beef
- I don’t know about you, but I love recipes that can serve dinner and then another meal…or two!
- When we’re busy during harvest and planting, or as I write this, in full on e-learning at home….simple is almost always better.
- It’s what I call a “dump” recipe. No browning, minimal chopping, and everything goes into the pot!
- We usually have a roast or four in our freezer since we raise our own beef.
- beef roast – the recipe calls for a three pound roast so I can calculate the nutritional value, but you can use a bigger roast if you’d like. I like to use a chuck roast.
- onion – I use whatever I have on hand – white, yellow or red all work.
- minced garlic – I keep a jar of minced garlic in my fridge to make life easy. If you have fresh garlic use about a clove, minced.
- diced tomatoes with green chilis – sometimes called by the brand name Rotel, but of course there are many brands.
- green chilis – these aren’t very spicy in my opinion, so don’t let it scare you!
- cumin and chili powder– add that signature hint of smoky flavor we find in so many Tex-Mex recipes
- salt – how much will depend on your individual taste buds.
- lime wedges (optional) – for serving. Hit it with a little lime juice if you’d like at the end
How to Make Shredded Beef in the Slow Cooker
It’s super easy to make this shredded beef in the crock pot.
Basically, everything goes in the pot with the exception of the ingredients you’ll use for serving. Give everything a stir and cook on high for one hour.
After an hour, reduce the heat to low and continue cooking for another 7-8 hours.
Now, I’m living in the real world….So I know that sometimes we just throw everything in the crockpot while we’re getting coats on little people, headed to work, or running in five different directions.
If you can’t wait for the hour to pass before switching it to low, just start it on low and get on with life.
Feeding your family shouldn’t be stressful, right?!?
What to serve with Mexican beef:
There’s so much you can do with this one pot Mexican style beef! We like to use it to make beef tacos and burritos.
We like to add pico de gallo, shredded cabbage, cheese, sour cream, avocado, or hot sauce to our Mexican shredded beef.
If you’re looking for sides to serve alongside, how about these??
Other Crockpot Recipes You’ll Enjoy:
Give this slow cooked Mexican Beef a try, and leave a review. I’d love to hear what you think!
- 3 pound beef roast
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 10 ounce can diced tomatoes with green chilis
- 4 ounce can chopped green chilis
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Toppings for tacos
- Add roast, chopped onions and garlic to your slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Cook on high for an hour, then switch to low and cook for 7-8 hours.
- Shred meat and return to slow cooker. Adjust seasonings to your liking. You may want to add a little salt but taste it first.
Don't worry about your roast being the exact size. You can use a 3, 4 or even 5 pound roast without adjusting the ingredients.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 374Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 138mgSodium: 401mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 36g