A recipe for slow cooker brown rice may not sound glamorous, but I’m about to tell you why this is going to change your dinner game plan!
First of all, get out your slow cooker. This is the crock pot I use, but other sizes and models will work as well.
Here’s how to cook brown rice in the slow cooker:
Spray the inside of your cooker with non-stick spray. If that’s not your thing, you can rub the sides and bottom of the cooker with butter.
Add two cups brown rice, 3 1/3 cups broth (vegetable or chicken broth both work great), and 1 Tablespoon of olive oil.
Stir to combine.
Cook on high, stirring occasionally until rice is fluffy, 2-4 hours.
In the end, you have perfectly slow cooked brown rice for dinner.
Okay, so maybe this isn’t the most exciting thing you’re read today. I get it.
We’re not setting anything on fire while yelling “Opa!!” (Which, by the way, is totally fun once you get over your fear of setting your house on fire.)
But trust me, this recipe is one to hang on to.
Cooking brown rice in a crock pot is a total timesaver.
Here’s how to save even more time!
Slightly cool the rice, and then portion it into one or two cup servings.
Place each portion into a ziplock type baggie. Label it with the portion size and “cooked brown rice”.
Even though it clearly looks like rice, take the time to label it. Trust me on this. There may have been a time or two when I’ve pulled an unlabeled container from the freezer thinking, “What the heck is this and why did I put it in here????”
So label it, and then proceed to stock your freezer with precooked rice.
The next time you need a side dish recipe – say – for stir-fry, or as a side to taco night at your house, you are already ahead of the game! Add it to chicken soups instead of noodles, make a quick fried rice…
You get the idea, right?
To use the rice, remove it from the bag and place into a microwave safe container. Heat for 60 seconds.
Pin my slow cooker brown rice for later here.
You can also try:
- Hearty Beef & Vegetable Soup
- Best Minestrone Soup
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken
- Crockpot Mexican Shredded Chicken
- Slow Cooker Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal
Note: I may use referral or affiliate links for the products I love.
Brown Rice in the Slow Cooker
- non-stick cooking spray or butter
- 2 cups brown rice
- 3 1/3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Spray the inside of your cooker with non-stick spray. If that’s not your thing, you can rub the sides and bottom of the cooker with butter.
- Add two cups brown rice, 3 1/3 cups broth (vegetable and chicken broths both work great), and 1 Tablespoon of olive oil. Stir to combine.
- Cook on high, stirring occasionally until rice is fluffy, 2-4 hours.
Shared on Meal Plan Monday