Pollo Asado tacos are bursting with juicy, marinated chicken and bright citrus flavor. Each bite is nestled in warm tortillas and topped with fresh salsa, avocado, and a burst of zesty lime.
When it comes to Mexican cuisine, there's nothing quite like a good taco. And when it comes to tacos, there's nothing quite like pollo asado tacos.
If you're looking for an easy and delicious recipe for your next taco night, look no further than this pollo asado taco recipe. With just a few simple ingredients, you can make these mouth-watering tacos right at home.
Pour yourself a glass of pineapple agua fresca and let's get cooking!
What is pollo asado
Pollo asado is Spanish for grilled chicken or roast chicken. Otherwise known as mouth watering!!
A trip to your local grocery store is all you need to make the best chicken tacos!
Then, open up your spice cabinet and get ready to make a combination of amazing flavors! You'll need...
- boneless skinless chicken thighs - boneless skinless chicken breasts may be substituted but I say go for the thighs.
- minced garlic
- spices - achiote powder is often used in a recipe like this and gives the red-orange color you may see. We're subbing in some paprika for color along with salt, onion powder, dried oregano, chili powder and cumin.
- citrus juice - orange juice and lime juice.
- olive oil - vegetable oil may also be used.
How to make pollo asado tacos
Place garlic and spices in a large bowl or zip top baggie to make a marinade.
Add the chicken thighs to the mixture. I like to spread them out a bit so everything gets access to the seasonings.
Allow the chicken to sit in the marinade in the fridge for 2-4 hours, turning once during the process.
Remove the chicken from the citrus mixture and cook on the grill or indoors in a skillet over medium high heat, turning once.
Cook until the chicken comes to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Remove the chicken from a pan and transfer to a cutting board.
Cut into bite sized pieces for tacos.
How to serve pollo asado tacos
These tacos taste perfect on some warm tortillas - I like corn tortillas but flour tortillas are amazing too!
Because of the citrus in this recipe, I don't remember making this as a freezer meal.
Absolutely! The grill does impart a nice char taste on pollo asado but I usually make these on the stovetop. You can sear the chicken in a skillet and the flavors will still shine through.
Taco toppings are one of my favorite topics! Try pairing these with guacamole, a lime wedge, pico de gallo, salsa verde or rojo or sour cream or crema.
These pollo asado tacos are not excessively spicy, but they do have a flavorful kick which I find delightful. The marinade includes a blend of citrus juices, herbs, and spices, which adds depth of flavor without heat. The bonus of cooking from scratch is that you can adjust the spice level to your personal preference by adding or reducing spices.
What to serve with Mexican street tacos
Tortilla chips and guacamole or salsa verde
Tip: I like to heat my tortillas in the microwave to prevent them from drying out and make them pliable. Place a stack of them on a plate and cover with a barely damp paper towel. Microwave for about 30 seconds or until warmed through.
If you make this easy pollo asado recipe, leave a recipe rating or review. I'd love to hear from you!
Pollo Asado Tacos (Chicken Street Tacos)
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¾ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ orange juice
- ¼ cup lime juice 2-3 juiced limes
- 1 Tablespoons olive oil
- Corn tortillas and lime wedges for serving
- Whisk marinade ingredients together in a medium sized bowl. Add chicken thighs (I like to open them up a bit so they can all get the marinade, sometimes they’re folded a bit in the packaging.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour and up to 4 hours, using tongs to flip the chicken once during the chill time.
- Remove from fridge and allow to sit for 20 mins before cooking. Cook on a grill or on in a pan on the stovetop heated to medium-high heat, about 6-7 minutes per side until cooked to a temperature of 165°F.
- Transfer to a cutting board and allow to sit for 5 minutes before cutting into pieces.
Warm tortillas and add cooked chicken to make tacos. Serve with salsa verde or pico de gallo, sour cream and lime wedges, if desired.