A quick & healthy Black Bean Taco recipe topped with flavorful homemade guacamole. Change up Taco Tuesday with gluten free and vegetarian black bean tacos!!
If you’ve been following along for oh, say – 15 minutes or more, you know how much I love all things Tex-Mex and Mexican food. Whatever you want to call it, I’m likely to cook it!
From crockpot Mexican shredded chicken to homemade taco seasoning, I love it all. And someday, when it’s time for me to leave this Earth, I seriously have said I’d like tacos served. I even made a checklist of how to plan a taco bar party.
Weird but true fact, friends…
Easy Black Bean Taco Recipe
Now, we’re living in the midwest, so it didn’t surprise me one bit when our oldest kiddo turned up her nose at the black bean tacos. You mean, they’re meatless tacos?
I get it. We have a freezer full of our homegrown beef. We love our ground beef tacos.
But we also need some options for meatless meals, too.
Even better when it’s an easy dinner, ready in under 20 minutes.
Pre-cooked, canned black beans are seasoned with some toasty Mexican spices. Add a little red bell pepper for some color and flavor.
Then make an easy batch of rich & creamy guacamole or mango salsa to top it all off!
How to Make Vegetarian Black Bean Tacos
This may be the easiest taco recipe ever!
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add beans, water, cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, cayenne, and oregano. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are warmed through and the spices become fragrant, around 4-5 minutes. Seriously, minutes!
- Remove from heat and set aside.
Ingredients for Homemade Guacamole
It’s so easy to make homemade guacamole and you don’t have to pay $15 for it made cart side, either. Yeah, Mexican restaurant, I’m talkin’ to you!
- ripe avocados
- a tomato
- fresh lime juice
- fresh cilantro
- a jalapeño
- salt and black pepper
Note: I may use referral or affiliate links for the products I love.
To Make the Homemade Guacamole
Mash the avocado in a small bowl. Add tomato, lime juice, fresh cilantro, and jalapeño. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Ole!
THere are so many ways to mix up this black bean taco recipe. Here are just a few of them – get creative!
- Serve over slow cooked brown rice or cauliflower rice for a vegetarian burrito bowl.
- Top with cheese, sour cream or spicy mango salsa
- Serve on soft corn tortillas or hard, crispy tostadas
- Instead of canned black beans, made your own in your slow cooker or Instant Pot
Spicy Black Bean Taco Wraps with Fresh Guacamole
- 2 large ripe avocados pitted
- 1 medium tomato seeded and diced
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro minced
- ½ medium jalapeño finely diced
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add beans, water, cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, cayenne, and oregano. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are warmed through and the spices become fragrant, around 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
To Make Guacamole
- While the beans are cooking, mash the avocado in a small glass or other non-reactive bowl. Add tomato, lime juice, fresh cilantro, and jalapeño. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Transfer warm beans to a bowl and add diced bell pepper. Serve immediately with large lettuce leaves for wrapping, along with fresh guacamole and salsa