Butter up your taste buds for a crispy, golden delight with Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes! These bite-sized spuds are perfectly seasoned, tender on the inside, and irresistibly crunchy on the outside.
Whether it's a cozy family dinner or a fun gathering with friends, these addictive potatoes will steal the show.
Why you'll love this recipe
With just a few simple ingredients and the magic of the air fryer, you'll be able to whip up a batch of spuds that'll steal the show at any meal.
They're dreamy: Picture this: a potato with a perfectly crispy outer layer that gives way to a fluffy and tender inside. That's exactly what you'll get with my Air Fryer crispy smashed potatoes. The air fryer works its magic, making a glorious combination of textures that'll make your taste buds dance.
Family friendly: Whether you're servin' these potatoes as a side dish for a weeknight dinner or as a snack during game night, they're versatile enough to fit any occasion. You can even customize the seasonings to suit your taste.
Easy to make : Let's be real...we don't have time for complicated recipes! That's why these are perfect for busy folks like you. They're quick, easy, and downright delicious.
Get your air fryers ready, gather your ingredients, and let's smash our way to potato perfection!
- baby gold potatoes - when it comes to smashing, not all potatoes are created equal. Opt for small, round potatoes like baby Yukon golds or baby red potatoes. These varieties have a creamy texture and hold their shape well when cooked and smashed.
- extra virgin olive oil
- Italian seasoning - this is a mixture of oregano, basil, and thyme
How to make air fryer smashed potatoes
Boil the potatoes: We'll cook these in a pot of salted water until they're fork-tender but still hold their shape. This ensures that the potatoes are cooked through and ready to be smashed to perfection.
Smash the potatoes: After they've been parboiled, it's time for the fun part – smashing those spuds! I like to use the bottom of a glass or a potato masher to gently press down on each potato until it's flattened but still holds together.
The goal here is to create a rustic, uneven surface that'll turn nice and crispy in the air fryer.
Oil the potatoes: Brushing the potatoes helps to make a nice golden brown crust on the potatoes and also gives the seasonings something to cling to. If you don't want to brush the oil on, you can drizzle it on.
Season away: Sprinkle the smashed potatoes with the seasonings. I personally love a combination of Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
I'll give some different variations you can try out below!
Preheat your air fryer to ensure it's nice and hot before cooking. Arrange the smashed potatoes in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Cook until they're golden and crispy. Flip 'em halfway through to ensure even cooking.
Tip: Don't smash the potatoes with a metal pancake turner. The heat conducts through the metal and will burn your fingers. Ummmm, yes...ask me how I know!!!
Because there are only a few ingredients in this recipe, there's not a whole lot of substitutions!
- Butter - instead of olive oil, you can brush the potatoes with melted butter.
Want to make your own spud-tastic version of this recipe? These variations will add a whole new dimension to your Air Fried Smashed Potatoes.
- Herbed: If you're a fan of fresh herbs, this variation is for you. Before air frying, add finely chopped fresh herbs like rosemary, thyme, or parsley.
- Smoky: Add a touch of smoky flavor by adding smoky paprika or chipotle powder into the seasoning. This variation gives a warm and savory kick.
- Spicy: Add a pinch of cayenne pepper or a sprinkle of chili flakes to the spice blend for a fiery kick.
- Cheesy: If you're a cheese lover like me, sprinkle some grated cheddar or Parmesan cheese on top of the smashed potatoes during the last few minutes of cooking time.
Allow the smashed potatoes to cool completely at room temperature before storing leftovers. This helps prevent condensation in the container, which will keep the potatoes from getting soggy.
Transfer the cooled smashed potatoes to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3-4 days.
How to reheat: I like to reheat the smashed potatoes in the air fryer or oven for the best results so they'll keep their crispy texture.
Preheat the air fryer or oven to 375°F (190°C), spread the potatoes in a single layer, and heat until they're warmed through and crispy again.
Once your Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes are cooked to perfection, it's time to get creative with the toppings. Add a dollop of sour cream, a sprinkle of fresh herbs like chives or parsley, or even some crumbled bacon. Yum!
Achieving that ultimate crispiness is the goal for your potatoes! While cooking, you should make sure your potatoes are spread out in a single layer – this is the secret to the perfect crunch.
And don't forget to give them a good stir and shake in the basket at least once during cooking. This simple step guarantees even cooking throughout.
Looking for other air fryer recipes? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with air fryer smashed potatoes:
Trust me, once you try these irresistible spuds, you'll never go back to ordinary potatoes again!
If you tried this smashed potato recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the comments. Hungry for more? Be sure to stay in touch on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes
- 1 pound baby golden potatoes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt divided
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Add the potatoes to a medium sized pot filled with water to cover the potatoes. Add ½ teaspoon of the salt to the water. Set the saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Add ½ teaspoon salt and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 20 minutes until potatoes are fork tender.
- Drain the potatoes and let cool for 2-3 minutes.
- Preheat the air fryer at 400°F for 5 minutes (this will help our spuds get nice and crispy).
- Using the flat bottom bowl or glass, gently press to smash the potatoes to a thickness of about ½”.
- Place the potatoes in the air fryer basket and brush with olive oil. Season the potatoes generously with the remaining spices.
- Cook the potatoes at 400ºF in the air fryer for 15-20 minutes, flipping halfway through the cooking time.
- Remove the potatoes from the air fryer and let cool slightly before serving.