Making a batch of CrockPot Mexican shredded chicken in the slow cooker is a healthy dinner with oodles of options! Use the shredded chicken recipe for tacos, enchiladas, salads and more.
You guys, I have SO MUCH love for this shredded chicken recipe. The flavor is off the charts and it’s one of those easy slow cooker dump recipes I know we all need in our lives.
We’re talking slow cooker Mexican chicken thighs, a rich and smoky tomato sauce, creamy black beans, and just the right blend of spices to make this farm girl’s mouth water just thinking about it.
Is it authentic Mexican shredded chicken? I honestly don’t know but I can tell you this…
This recipe is 100 percent on rotation in my household and word on the street is that others dig what we’re making here, too!
Until a few months back, I was totally on team chicken breast. You know, the boneless, skinless chicken breasts we all buy at the grocery store.
Then, I tried using boneless skinless chicken thighs in the slow cooker.
My world was changed. I always thought I was only a white meat chicken girl but after tasting the difference in texture, taste and moisture in the crockpot chicken thighs, I was a changed woman.
So if you haven’t tried chicken this way, give it a shot.
Ingredients in Crockpot Mexican Shredded Chicken
It really doesn’t get much easier than Mexican shredded chicken in the crockpot . To your slow cooker, add chicken thighs, two cans of Rotel-style tomatoes, black beans, garlic, jalapeno, and spices!
Once the chicken is cooked it’s so tender it shreds easily with two forks.
What to serve with Mexican chicken
There are so many fun and healthy variations in this chicken crockpot recipe! You can make burrito bowls and serve over slow cooker brown rice or cilantro lime rice.
Use the shredded chicken to make chicken tacos, or top mixed greens and make a TexMex salad.
Or, make a batch and divide it into microwave safe containers to use it for easy lunch meal prep all week long!
Whichever option you choose, be sure to add some shredded cheese, sour cream or Greek yogurt and fresh cilantro, if that’s your thing!
Other crockpot recipes you’ll love:
Made with love,
Crockpot Mexican Shredded Chicken
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 10 oz. cans Rotel fire-roasted diced tomatoes & green chilies undrained
- 2 15 oz. cans black beans rinsed and drained
- 3-4 tsp minced garlic
- 1 small jalapeno pepper finely diced
- 1.5 Tbsp hickory-flavored liquid smoke
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper to taste
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 limes quartered
- ¼ c. fresh cilantro, chopped for garnish
- Place chicken thighs in the bottom of a 5 or 6-quart slow cooker. Top with tomatoes, black beans, garlic, jalapeno pepper, liquid smoke, cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, oregano, and cayenne pepper.
- Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Stir to combine, making sure the chicken thighs are coated and submerged in the liquid.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. 30 minutes before serving, remove lid and shred chicken while in the slow cooker with two forks. Stir to combine shredded chicken with other ingredients. Cover and cook for remaining 30 minutes to allow chicken to absorb the flavors.
- Squeeze fresh lime juice into the crock. Season with additional salt and black pepper, if desired.
- To serve, spoon chicken mixture over plain rice or cilantro-lime rice. Serve with remaining lime wedges or cilantro.
TO MAKE AS A FREEZER MEAL
- Label a gallon sized freezer bag. Add chicken, tomatoes, black beans, garlic, jalapeno pepper, liquid smoke, cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, oregano, and cayenne pepper. Remove excess air and lay flat to freeze.
TO COOK FROM FREEZER MEAL
- Thaw and cook as outlined above.