This Egg and Sausage Casserole recipe uses tater tots to make the best breakfast casserole recipe! Make-ahead breakfast casseroles are perfect for Christmas morning and Sunday brunches.
Egg and Sausage Breakfast Casserole
My family says this is the perfect breakfast casserole because in their world, anything with tater tots or crispy crowns in the name is a slam dunk!
For me, these hearty flavors a great way to get ahead for the week as an easy breakfast for busy mornings.
But it's also special enough for a holiday brunch or Sunday mornings because this truly is an easy recipe using grocery shortcuts. This recipe is gonna be your new go-to!
Tip: For another breakfast to feed a crowd, check out my ultimate breakfast sliders.
Egg Bake Ingredients
This recipe uses a freezer section shortcut - frozen tater tots! This means there's hardly any chopping involved in meal prep.
- ground breakfast sausage - we are looking for the bulk ground sausage that sometimes comes in a tube, not sausage links here. I used pork sausage but you can also use turkey sausage
- onion and bell pepper - I used red pepper but you can use green bell pepper or whatever other color strikes your fancy. If you want to take your shortcut to the next level, you can substitute a frozen onion and pepper mix!
- whole milk
- garlic powder
- black pepper
- cheese - I used Colby jack cheese, but you can use other cheeses. I have some recommendations below.
- frozen tater tots
How to meal prep this easy breakfast casserole recipe
To make this ahead of time, prep and bake the whole casserole as instructed in advance. Then, slice into individual servings. Add to individual glass containers, cover and refrigerate.
To reheat, you can heat each piece for 30-60 seconds increments in the microwave. I like to cover eggs when I'm reheating them, sometimes they can pop a little.
Can tater tot breakfast casserole be made the night before hand?
Yes! I LOVE an overnight egg casserole that doubles as meal prep!
Because really, who wants to get up and start cracking eggs at the break of dawn? I need time for my coffee to kick in before I start doing crazy things like making breakfast...
If you would like to make it up ahead of time, assemble it as instructed right up to the point of adding the tater tots.
Except..don't add the tater tots, or they'll get soggy. Cover the casserole with aluminum foil and refrigerate overnight.
The next morning, add the tater tots to the top and bake according to the directions. You may need to add a few minutes to the bake time since the casserole has been refrigerated.
Can I use other cheese in this recipe?
The best part about cheese is there are so many kinds to choose from! You can change out the type of cheese based on whatever your favorite type of cheese is.
I think cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, or pepper jack would also work really well. They're all pretty chill, melty cheeses.
Is the a way to add some spice to this casserole?
I love to chop up three or four jalapenos and then add them to the egg mixture, or add a dash of hot sauce to my own serving.
It'll add some zing, so brace yourself!
How do I store the leftovers and how long will they be good for?
You can store leftovers in an airtight container or covered in plastic wrap in the fridge for up to three days.
What to serve with this easy sausage casserole
A side of fresh fruit is really all you need to add to this scrumptious dish!
To make this as a freezer meal
I love making freezer meals not only for ourselves, but to have on hand for friends and family who might need an easy meal.
To make this as a freezer meal, assemble all the ingredients except for the tater tots and pour into a gallon sized freezer bag. You may want to double bag this recipe to ensure there are no leaks.
Freeze flat on a rimmed baking sheet until frozen solid. Remember to label the egg casserole, and keep the bag of tater tots near it in the freezer.
To cook it from a freezer meal, simply thaw the contents, pour into a casserole dish, and top with the tater tots. Bake as instructed.
More breakfast casserole recipes
Egg and Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- 1 pound bulk pork breakfast sausage
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 8 large eggs at room temperature
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 ½ cups Colby jack cheese divided
- 28 oz frozen tater tots
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and grease a 9x13 inch casserole pan.
- In a medium skillet, combine the sausage, onions, and bell peppers over medium heat. Cook until the sausage has browned and crumbled. Drain the grease from the sausage mixture and spread it in the casserole dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, garlic powder, and pepper. Pour the egg mixture over the sausage mixture.
- Sprinkle half the cheese and the tater tots into the baking dish.
- Bake the casserole in the preheated oven for 40 minutes. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on the top of the casserole and bake for an additional 5 minutes.