Make-Ahead Breakfast Bowls are bursting with wholesome ingredients to jump start your day. Make a batch of this sausage breakfast recipe as part of your weekly meal prep, as a freezer-meal, or as a make ahead breakfast on the go.
Think of these as a version of homemade Jimmy Dean breakfast bowls, you know – the kind you can buy at the grocery store. If Jimmy Dean can make a reheated breakfast look good, then so can you!
First, I’m gonna share a secret here. I’m not a morning person. Not by any stretch of the imagination.
If the sun could hold off until about 9 AM that would be perfectly fine with me. Oh, and set up an IV drip of coffee while you’re at it, please and thank you!
But really, who am I kidding? We have four kids. Enough said, am I right???
So at our house, we try whenever possible to opt for breakfast meal prep. I mean, if we have a DIY breakfast already made, that’s winning!
Instructions for Meal Prep Breakfast Bowls
Start by tossing your potatoes with a little olive oil and seasoning with salt and pepper your potatoes.
Tip: If you want a shortcut you can totally buy refrigerated or frozen hash browns. I wouldn’t blame you one bit.
Once the potatoes are cooked, add them to your meal prep containers. You don’t need fancy containers, you can use whatever you have.
Then, cook your breakfast sausage and any veggies you’d like. In this recipe I use onion and green pepper.
Distribute throughout the containers.
Are you sensing a theme here?
Scramble your eggs, then….you guessed it! Add a portion to each container.
Top with cheese. Lots of it!
Allow to cool slightly, cover and refrigerate.
Viola! You are set with breakfast!
How do you freeze and reheat eggs?
Come morning time, you can grab a ready to eat meal, reheat it in the microwave for a minute or two and have a hot breakfast. It’s magical!
If you have extras, or make a double batch, they’re freezer friendly, too! Simply put them in the freezer and thaw the night before or defrost and reheat in the morning.
To reheat from refrigerated, microwave for 30-60 seconds.
To reheat from frozen, defrost for 1-2 minutes, then heat in the microwave for 30 seconds or until heated through.
Can you meal prep eggs?
- Scramble and refrigerate or freeze them like we did in this recipe
- Make hardboiled eggs and refrigerate for the week
- Meal prep with my oven baked egg recipe and refrigerate or freeze for meal prep
Make Ahead Breakfast Bowl Ideas
Think of this recipe as a roadmap – take your favorite route own to suit your tastes!
There are many possibilities to change up these breakfast bowls! You can use ham, turkey sausage or bacon, mozzarella or pepper jack cheese.
Want a southwestern flair? Try adding some salsa and diced avocado just before serving. Ooooh, and you could add tortillas!
Add tons of veggies to ensure your make ahead breakfast bowls are healthy!
Make a batch of this quick and easy sausage bowl breakfast recipe to stock your fridge to the week or make ahead breakfast recipes to freeze.
And for my farm friends, why not serve these up as a field meal? You can only eat so many sandwiches, you know?
Other make ahead breakfast recipes with eggs you’ll love:
- Honey Butter Buttermilk Biscuit Breakfast Sandwiches
- Low Carb Crustless Sausage Quiche
- Make Ahead Oven Baked Eggs
- Make Ahead Breakfast Egg Sandwich
- Meal Prep Breakfast Burritos
Other make ahead breakfast ideas for meal prep:
- Overnight Chia Breakfast Pudding with Fruit
- Easy Banana Almond Berry Breakfast Cookies
- Healthy Pumpkin Spice Pancakes
- Kid Friendly, Make Ahead Breakfast Ideas
Note: I may use referral or affiliate links for the products I love.
Make Ahead Breakfast Bowls
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 8 small red potatoes, diced
- salt & pepper to taste
- 8 eggs
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- 1 green pepper
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1.5 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Toss potatoes with a little olive oil and seasoning with salt and pepper. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until browned slightly and fork tender. When cooked, remove from oven and transfer to desired number of bowls.
- Heat a medium skillet over med-high heat. Add onions and green peppers in a single layer and cook until softened. Remove ingredients and divide into bowls.
- Cook breakfast sausage, breaking into bite size pieces as it cooked. When cooked, remove and add into the bowls with the potatoes and vegetables, dividing equally.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs until well blended. Cook until just set. Remove and add to bowls.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese over the top of each portion.
- Cool, cover and place in the fridge or label and freeze for later.
- To reheat from refrigerated, microwave for 30-60 seconds.
- To reheat from frozen, defrost for 1-2 minutes, then heat in the microwave for 30 seconds or until heated through.
- There are many possibilities with these breakfast bowls! You can use ham, turkey sausage or bacon, mozzarella or pepper jack cheese.
- Want a southwestern flair? Try adding some salsa and diced avocado just before serving.
- Save time by using pre-made hash brown potatoes from the refrigerator or freezer section. Look for “potatoes” as the only ingredient on the label.
Seen on Meal Plan Monday