Air Fryer Italian Sausage and Peppers is an easy dinner ready in just 12 minutes! The sausages and peppers cook perfectly and evenly in the air fryer and save a ton of time!
Serve them on hoagie rolls or over your favorite pasta and a side salad for a complete meal!
If the weather is getting colder and you find yourself staring longingly at your outdoor grill, you’re not alone. I know you’d like to whip up some grilled sausages and peppers, but venturing into the cold doesn’t sound appealing.
No worries, we are solving this problem with a simple fix. We’re making Italian sausage in the air fryer! And if you don't have an air fryer, don't fret! You can make crockpot sausage and peppers instead!
Not too long ago, I was hesitant to purchase an air fryer. I already have an Instant Pot and I resisted because hey, who wants another appliance?
I justified it by buying the Cuisinart model that’s also a toaster oven. When it comes to cooking gadgets, I’ll find a way to reason them into my kitchen!
Now I’ve been bitten by the air fryer bug and the ease and speed it cooks even the most simple foods.
Brace yourself for more air fryer recipes to come...for now, let’s talk air fryer sausage and peppers!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Fast - a family friend dinner on the table with just 12 minutes total cooking time? With an easy recipe like this, you can count me in!
- Low Carb - leave out the bun and you have a keto friendly meal clocking in at 5 grams of carbs.
- Customizable - this recipe is made with simple ingredients. Add whatever kind of toppings you fancy to change it up a bit. You can make scrumptious, restaurant quality sausages without stepping outside the house!
- Delicious - ummmm, hello! If you love a juicy sausages with crispy skin you’re in luck! Oh, and clean up is a breeze.
- Sweet Bell Peppers – I used a blend of green bell peppers, yellow, orange and red peppers. Whatever you have in your garden or find at the grocery store can work.
- Olive oil – just a touch to get the spices sticking onto the bell peppers and keep them from sticking to the air fryer basket.
- Italian Sausage links – I used mild Italian sausage but if you like hot Italian sausage or sweet sausage, I say go for it!
- Spices – Garlic powder, salt and pepper
- Buns – for serving. You can use hot dog buns or hoagie style sausage buns
How to make Air Fryer Italian Sausage and Peppers
All the tips you need are in the printable recipe card below.
Step 1: Wash your bell peppers and dry thoroughly. Cut them into strips and place them in a medium sized bowl.
Step 2: Add the olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Stir to mix everything together.
Step 3: When the air fryer oven is heated to 400°F, add the seasoned peppers to the outer parts of the tray or air fryer basket. Place the uncooked sausages in a single layer in the middle of the basket and set the cook time for 12 minutes, flipping the Italian sausages after 6 minutes.
Serve in buns along with the peppers.
Shredded cheese is a delicious add on to complete this delicious meal. I like shredded mozzarella or provolone cheese with my sausages.
Mustards are king when it comes to sausages. Whether you rock the whole grain mustard, Dijon, or straight up yellow mustard, it’s a match made in sausage heaven.
Add white, yellow or red onions to the bell peppers if you’d like.
Italian sausage on a bun is a great option for an easy meal when you’re on the go! (Farmers, I’m talking to you here!)
Put it all together and wrap in foil. You can deliver warm, or send it out in a heated lunch box.
How to store leftovers
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
These sausages can be cooked and portioned into freezer safe containers. Thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat in the microwave.
You can cook breakfast sausages, links, sausage patties, kielbasa, turkey sausage, chicken sausage in a similar way in the air fryer. That’s a lot of sausages!
The times will vary depending on the thickness of the sausages and the type of meat.
I like to serve these on a crusty hoagie roll. You can also serve them with some marinara sauce and your favorite pasta! You can decide the best way for your family based on their own preferences.
If you’re keeping to a keto or low carb diet, you can serve these alongside some zoodles and no sugar marinara sauce.
What to serve with sausage and peppers
I’m gonna roll with some classics here and recommend creamy potato salad, or even your favorite potato chips if you’re having one of those kinds of days. We all have 'em.
Keeping it low carb? How about some marinated cucumbers and onions or roasted Brussels sprouts and bacon.
Go ahead, take a bite. It tastes like it’s straight off the grill, right?!?
Other main dishes
Crockpot Sausage and Peppers recipe
Sheet Pan Kielbasa and Veggies
More air fryer recipes
If you make air fryer sausage recipe, head on back and leave a comment or recipe review rating. I’d love to hear from you!
Air Fryer Italian Sausage and Peppers
These Air Fryer Sausage recipe is a quick weeknight meal ready in just 12 minutes! The sausages and peppers cook perfectly and evenly in the air fryer and save a ton of time!
- 1⁄4 green pepper, cut in strips
- 1⁄4 red pepper, cut in strips
- 1⁄4 yellow pepper, cut in strips
- 1⁄4 orange pepper, cut in strips
- ½ Tablespoon olive oil
- 4 Italian Sausages of your choice ( I used mild but hot is also delicious)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Hoagie buns for serving
- Wash peppers and dry thoroughly. Cut peppers into strips and set them aside.
- In a medium bowl toss together the peppers, olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder mix to coat evenly.
- Set Air Fryer to 400 degrees. Add the seasoned peppers to the outer edges of the tray. Place sausages in the middle of the tray. Set the air fryer for 12 minutes, flipping the sausages halfway through the cooking time.
Serve the sausages and peppers in toasted buns if desired.
- If you like your sausages more browned on the outside, prick both sides of the sausages with a fork before cooking.
- Don’t forget to flip your sausages so they brown on both sides.
- Keeping the peppers on the outer edges prevents them from getting overcooked. You can also cook them separately for less time. You can also add onions if you like.
- Because of the high-fat content, be careful of splattering oil when you open the air fryer.
- Check with a meat thermometer to ensure the internal temperature of the sausages reaches 165°F
To toast the buns, set the air fryer to 400 degrees and place in the air fryer tray, cut side up. Cook for just a minute or two until the tops are light golden brown. Keep an eye on them so you don’t burn...they’ll change quickly!
*Nutrition is calculated without buns.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 267Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 43mgSodium: 690mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 15g
Leave a Reply