Stuffed Pepper Skillet is quick and low carb take on a tried & true easy recipe! Ground beef, cauliflower rice, green peppers & tomato make this a family friendly, gluten free meal!
I love to eat traditional stuffed peppers, but I don't love the time it takes for the peppers to cook.
So friends, today let's make our stuffed pepper recipe and change it into a weeknight approved meal. Lazy stuffed peppers, if you will....The point is, making these stuffed peppers on the stove top will have dinner on your table in less than 30 minutes!
I always have ground beef in our freezer because hey - we raise them! But sometimes even I wonder what to make with ground beef. This recipe is one that is frequently in our dinner rotation.
In this recipe, I use a store bought bag of cauliflower rice from the freezer section, but if you want to make your own, have at it!
What's a skillet meal?
A skillet meal is basically a one pot wonder! It's a meal you make, of course, in a skillet.
What does this mean to you? It means you have only one dish to wash. That ALONE is one of the BIG reasons I love them for main dishes!
Also, most skillet meals are ready in a short amount of time - like 30 minutes - and take less time than a casserole that has to bake.
Initially I was calling this an unstuffed pepper skillet which came with questions from people scratching their heads like, "ummm, what's that mean???"
So, we're gonna call this a Stuffed Pepper Skillet recipe, even though it's not stuffed. It's basically ground beef and peppers, combined with tomatoes and (cauliflower) rice. And it's delicious!
Stuffed pepper skillet ingredients
- Bell Peppers: green peppers are my favorite to use but maybe that's just me. You can use red, yellow or orange bell peppers, too!
- Ground beef: ground pork or ground turkey can stand in if you choose
- Cauliflower rice: you can find this in the freezer section and it cooks up super fast. Plus it's low carb which I happen to love.
- Herbs and spices: Dried minced onion, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper
- Worcestershire sauce: I can't pronounce it, but we're gonna use it. It gives a nice flavor to our recipe.
Tomato sauce: because you can't have stuffed peppers without tomato!
How do I make a Stuffed Pepper Skillet Meal?
This recipe couldn't be much easier.
First, get out your big skillet (this skillet is my very favorite, I use it all the time!) and heat it over medium heat. Cook the ground beef and break it up with a spoon as it cooks.
Or, use a potato masher! Just take care that you don't scratch the skillet.
Then, drain the fat.
Tip: I like to drain the beef into a strainer set in a bowl. Once the fat solidifies it's easy to wipe into the garbage.
Place the beef back inside the skillet, add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
So easy, right???
Bring the mixture to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer on low. Cover and cook for 13-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until peppers are cooked through.
Note: If mixture seems to have too much liquid, remove lid and allow to cook for several minutes more.
Variations and tips
- I like using cauliflower rice for two reasons. First, it makes my meals a little lower in carbs and secondly, it cooks super fast IN the dish! If you’re not a fan, simply substitute the same amount of your favorite cooked rice or use minute rice.
- You can lower the fat content by using ground turkey or ground pork.
- Leftovers keep well. You can refrigerate them for later or portion out into individual containers for your own easy meals.
I hope you'll give this healthy stuffed pepper skillet a try! If you do, be sure to leave a recipe rating below so I know what you think!
More one pan dinners
- Low Carb Crustless Sausage Quiche
- Chicken Parmesan Skillet Meal
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- One Skillet Pork Tenderloin with Apples
P.S. If you love the taste of stuffed peppers in soup form, you'll love my Stuffed Pepper Soup Instant Pot style!!
Stuffed Pepper Skillet
Stuffed Pepper Skillet is quick and low carb take on a tried & true easy recipe! Ground beef, cauliflower rice, green peppers & tomato make this a family friendly, gluten free treat!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 10 ounces cauliflower rice, 2-3 cups
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- ¾ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 large green peppers seeds removed and chopped into 1” pieces
- Cook the ground beef in a large skillet over medium heat until meat is cooked through, breaking up with a spoon; drain.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer on low. Cover and cook 13-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until peppers are cooked through.
- Note: If mixture seems to have too much liquid, remove lid and allow to cook for several minutes more.
I like using cauliflower rice for two reasons. First, it makes my meals a little lower in carbs and secondly, it cooks super fast IN the dish!
If you’re not a fan, simply substitute the same amount cooked rice.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 238Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 6gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 54mgSodium: 881mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 15g
This is such a tasty dish. Just like stuffed peppers without all of the effort of stuffing the peppers!
Yes, I love how fast it cooks compared to the traditional method.
This is a delicious and warming, comforting meal. Something for the whole family to enjoy!
This is a great recipe. My family will love this.
Awesome, enjoy and thanks for stopping by!
Yummy dish for Dinner or breakfast. Looks delicious. Flavors to this dish are perfect.
Yes, delicious any time. Thanks for stopping by!
that sounds like a comforting meal!
Low Carb Stuffed Pepper Skillet is such an easy and fast recipe to make a truly delicious meal! Loved the riced cauliflower - we honestly preferred it over rice! This has made the “tried and approved” by my family recipe book!
Thanks, Mary! So glad you enjoyed it!!
This was so easy to make and delicious, too! I’m in college and am always looking for easy, quick, cheap, and healthy recipes. This was perfect! I made it today and am already recommending it to friends!
Making this as I type! Delicious so far….might add some mozzarella? Thanks for the great idea.🤗
I think mozzarella sounds perfect! Hope you enjoyed it Joyce!