Simple ingredients come together as a perfect combination in Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Peppers. Perfect for busy weeknights, these are an easy meal the whole family is sure to love!
Why you'll love this recipe
- Versatility - similar to my buffalo chicken egg rolls, you can make these in the air fryer or oven!
- Everyone likes an easy dinner. I mean, I could probably say no more than easy and you'd be racing to make these. Easy is the way to go.
- You don't have to leave the house for the taste of Buffalo Wild Wings. Plus, this version packs all the flavor of buffalo wings a healthier format that includes veggies. Your family may not even realize they're eating healthy. Shhh, I won't tell!
Fresh bell peppers - use whatever kind of sweet bell pepper you have on hand. Green peppers are mild in flavor, as are yellow, orange and red. Did I forget any colors???
Cooked, shredded chicken - I love stuffed peppers and I love making recipes with cooked, shredded chicken. It's seriously the biggest weeknight meal hack in my kitchen arsenal. You can use leftover rotisserie chicken or make your own chicken in your Instant Pot.
Tip: The amount of chicken needed for this peppers recipe is the equivalent to about 1 - 1 ½ large chicken breasts you'll find at the grocery store.
Cream Cheese - Cream cheese goes in to keep everything together and helps tame the buffalo sauce. We're walking the line of spicy without too spicy to keep things family friendly.
Cheddar Cheese - this cheese adds a little tang. And isn't everything better with cheese?
Green onion - you can leave this out if you want, but I like the little bit of texture it gives and a subtle onion flavor. You could also use onion powder instead.
Buffalo sauce - I used Sweet Baby Ray's Buffalo Sauce. You could also use your favorite brand or make your own buffalo sauce.
Ranch seasoning - I used Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning.
How to make buffalo chicken stuffed peppers
Step 1: Grab your favorite large bowl and mix together the cooked chicken, cream cheese, most of the shredded cheese, most of the green onion, and all the buffalo sauce, and ranch seasoning.
Step 2: Stir until the ingredients are combined, the cream cheese is spread throughout and the buffalo sauce is spreadin' the love throughout!
Step 3: Use a large spoon to add equal portions of the buffalo chicken filling into the bell pepper halves.
Step 4: Cook in the air fryer for 9 minutes, or bake in the oven for as outlined in the recipe card. Top with remaining cheddar and cook a few more minutes until melted.
Drizzle with ranch dressing and sprinkle the remaining green onion on the top of each pepper.
How to store leftovers
Peppers will keep an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days.
To make ahead of time
You can meal prep these ahead of time 1-2 days. Refrigerate until ready to cook.
Note: You'll need to add a few minutes to the cook time to get everything warmed through.
Substitutions and Variations
- Try using poblano peppers in place of the bell peppers. Poblano peppers have a little more bite than a bell pepper.
- You can substitute low-fat cream cheese for this recipe without affecting the taste or flavor.
- To bake the stuffed peppers in the oven, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Place peppers in a baking dish filled with 1⁄2 water. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoon of cheese and cover with foil. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven, plate and drizzle with ranch and sprinkle with diced green onion.
- Sub in blue cheese dressing or blue cheese crumbles instead of the ranch.
- Make these stuffed peppers using mini peppers and serve as a finger food or appetizer.
Other Buffalo Chicken Recipes
Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Peppers
- 3 multi-colored bell peppers halved lengthwise, and hollowed out
- 12 ounces cooked shredded chicken
- 3 ounces cream cheese softened
- ⅓ cup + 2 Tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese divided
- ¼ cup + 2 Tablespoons diced green onion divided
- ½ cup buffalo sauce such as Frank's Hot Sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoons ranch seasoning
- Ranch dressing for drizzling optional; not included in nutrition below.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the chicken, cream cheese, 1⁄3 cup shredded cheese, 1⁄4 cup diced green onion, buffalo sauce, and ranch seasoning.
- Stir until the ingredients are combined and chicken is fully coated in the buffalo sauce.
- Scoop about 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup of the buffalo chicken mixture into a hollowed out pepper. Repeat with the other five halves.
- Place stuffed peppers on a rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 Tablespoons of cheese and cover with foil.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven, plate and drizzle with ranch and sprinkle with diced green onion.