Made right on your stovetop, one pan chicken parmesan is a family friendly, Italian comfort food recipe ready in under 30 minutes!
Let’s talk for a quick minute about a chicken parmesan meal that’s been in frequent rotation at our household. Not only is it easy to make, it’s ready in under 30 minutes AND only uses one pan.
Less dishes to wash is always a win in my book!
A flavorful sauce using canned crushed tomatoes, a touch of garlic, pasta cooked right in the pan and of course, some gooey melted cheese are all combined in this weeknight recipe.
Unlike some heavier recipes, this healthy dinner doesn’t bread or fry the chicken. It save you time AND calories!
Ingredients for skillet chicken parmesan
This saucy, cheesy, one pan chicken parmesan dinner uses ingredients you can find at any grocery store.
Heck, you probably have most of them in your pantry already!
- olive oil
- boneless, skinless chicken breast
- spices: minced garlic, Italian Seasoning, salt
- crushed tomatoes
- farfalle (bowtie) pasta or whatever small to medium pasta shape you like
- two cheeses – Parmesan and mozzarella
Pretty basic, right?
How to make One-Skillet Chicken Parmesan
Step 1: Saute’ the chicken
Start with the largest skillet you have in your kitchen. Heat the pan, then add your oil. Add your chicken, cut into bite sized pieces, and cook until lightly browned on all sides but not cooked through, 2-3 minutes.
Tip: If you don’t like like to handle raw meat (you know who you are and yes, I’m talking to you, sister), your butcher or meat department may cut it up for you.
Just ask nicely, or call ahead in case they’re super busy that day. What I’m really saying here is don’t try this on a busy Saturday or holiday.
If the butcher will do it, it’s a great timesaver! And get some cut for sheet pan chicken fajitas while you’re at it!
Step 2: Have ingredients on standby
Next you’re gonna add the garlic. But first….you don’t want to burn your garlic, which can happen pretty quickly. And then it’s bitter and not tasty.
So here’s how we’re going to combat the burned garlic fiasco. First, open your canned tomatoes, measure your water and seasonings and have them ready to add.
Then, cook the garlic for about 30 seconds over medium heat. Then add the other ingredients to the pasta party!
Step 3: Stir, cover, cook.
Bring the mixture to a boil, then turn the heat down to low. Cover and let it cook for about 11-13 minutes, stirring occasionally.
When the pasta is cooked, it’s time to turn off the heat, add the cheese and cover it while things get all melty inside.
But wait, there’s more!
I said that in my best infomercial man voice. Can you hear it?
One pot chicken parmesan can also be meal prepped as a freezer meal.
Yes! I have instructions below in case you want to make it ahead of time and refrigerate or freeze for later.
Because let’s be honest. When we’re walking in the door after working all day, the last thing we need to do is more work.
I hope you enjoy this easy 30 minute meal as much as we do! It’s warm and hearty and the perfect family friendly, Italian comfort food.
Other one pan and one pot recipes you’ll love
- Easy Pork Stir Fry
- Stuffed Pepper Skillet
- Chicken & Sausage Jambalaya
- Instant Pot Spaghetti with Meat Sauce
- One Pot Chili Mac & Cheese
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1.5 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1 T. Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 12 ounces farfalle (bowtie) pasta
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated, for serving time
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded, for serving time
TO MAKE FRESH
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and cook until lightly browned on all sides but not cooked through, 2-3 minutes.
- Place garlic in the pan and cook lightly until fragrant, about 30 seconds, stirring to keep the garlic from burning.
- Add tomatoes, pasta, Italian seasoning, salt and water, stirring to combine. Bring to a boil, then turn heat to low and cover.
- Cook 11-13 minutes, stirring occasionally, until pasta is cooked and tender.
- Top with cheeses, cover and remove from heat until cheese is melted.
TO MAKE AS A FREEZER MEAL
- Put cut chicken into a labeled gallon size freezer bag. Remove excess air and seal.
- In a second gallon size freezer bag, add garlic, tomatoes, Italian seasoning, salt and water. Remove excess air and seal.
TO MAKE FROM A FREEZER MEAL
- Thaw ingredients. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and cook until lightly browned on all sides but not cooked through, 2-3 minutes.
- Add contents of the second bag (with tomato mixture) and farfalle pasta. Bring to a boil, then turn heat to low and cover.
- Cook 11-13 minutes, stirring occasionally, until pasta is cooked and tender. Top with cheeses, cover and remove from heat until cheese is melted.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 452Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 3gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 84mgSodium: 821mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 5gSugar: 8gProtein: 37g
Post originally published in 2016. Updated October 2019.