I love these keto meatloaf muffins, or meatloaf cupcakes, for a multitude of reasons. Low carb meatloaf is one of my healthy comfort food go-to’s, especially this time of the year.
Instead of cooking in a traditional loaf pan, these mini meatloaves are cooked in a muffin tin. This means a faster cook time, and also means they’re already perfectly portioned - a win for your meal prep game!
And these meatloaf muffins come in at 2 net carbs each. If you really want to lower the carbs even more, you can omit the onion and substitute onion powder.
For those of you who aren't counting carbs, you can check out this other muffin tin meatloaf recipe.
Ingredients in Keto Meatloaf Muffins:
Now, y’all know one of my favorite things to do is use common grocery store ingredients.
So you can imagine how excited I was to find coconut flour in the baking aisle at Aldi.
I freaking LOVE that store!
I purchased half of our family’s Christmas presents there this year. You know how it is.... You're a third of the way through the store and you approach the "Aldi finds" section.
I don't know about you but my heart rate increases just a bit when I approach those yellow signs.
What fun is in store for us this week? What hidden treasures will we find this week?
And so, a pair of Frozen slippers enter the cart for the kiddos, a Spiderman action figure, a cute wine glass gift for a friend, Everything Bagel Seasoning for me....
And before you know it - BOOM! Your cart is full and you're done with your holiday shopping!
Because somehow when it's tied up in your Aldi grocery bill, it doesn't seem to count, you know???
But anyway, back to the ingredients....
- extra virgin olive oil
- ground beef - 80%
- coconut flour*
- seasonings - garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, dried rosemary, paprika, salt & pepper
- tomato paste
- Colby Jack cheese
Coconut flour is great for these mini meatloaves because it’s naturally low carb and gluten free. I know a lot of you are looking for both of those qualities in your recipes.
Keto Meatloaf Muffins
While I’m not on a keto diet myself, I have been gravitating towards lower carb, healthy recipes.
Plus, my friend Sarah is keto and she pretty much gave me a degree in keto eating when I tried it a few years back.
Real life fact: I’m not a doctor, and neither is Sarah, so keep that in mind. The world we're livin' in makes me feel the need to add disclaimers like that. Sheesh...
Plus, it’s thought that coconut flour may have health benefits including stabilize blood sugar, benefit digestion and heart health, and possibly help with weight loss.
One of the things I refuse to sacrifice, low carb or not, is on flavor!
Ground beef needs a little flavor added to it in meatloaf, so we add some chopped onion here. The onion is going to give off a little liquid which is why I recommend you discard some of the excess moisture before adding the cheese.
How can you prepare meatloaf with no milk?
Someone asked me this a while back and it caught me off guard. I don’t remember my Mom or Grandma ever adding milk to their meatloaf recipe.
But, I also understand we all come from different backgrounds!
So for those of you looking for a meatloaf recipe without milk, this recipe fits the bill!
I also intentionally made this meatloaf without ketchup. The kind of meatloaf I grew up on was delicious but also involved copious amounts of ketchup. And, if you’re on a keto diet I’m sure you’re aware that ketchup is loaded with sugar.
Not so good,right? Luckily it’s easy to fix with some tomato sauce and onion in its place!
Tips for making Keto Meatloaf Muffins:
If the idea of “muffins” weirds you out for your meatloaf game, just shape these into a traditional “mini meatloaf” shape. You know, kind of like a football.
How to I reheat meatloaf Muffins?
You can reheat the mini meatloaves in the microwave or in the oven.
Cooked muffins can be cooled and frozen for later!
To thaw, place in the refrigerator overnight. Heat gently in the microwave until just heated through.
Other easy keto recipes you’ll enjoy:
- Keto Egg Roll in a Bowl
- Low Carb Breakfast Casserole with Bacon Broccoli and Cheddar
- Low Carb Cauliflower Mash
- Keto Pork Tenderloin Stir Fry with Cashews
*Omit the cheese and this keto recipe is also Whole30 compliant!
Do you love this meatloaf recipe? Leave a review below!
Low Carb Meatloaf Muffins
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ lbs. ground beef 80%
- ¼ cup yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 large celery stalk finely chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoon coconut flour*
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- salt and black pepper to taste
- ¾ cup Colby Jack cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 375°F and spray muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, thoroughly combine all ingredients together with your hands, except for the shredded cheese.
- Divide beef mixture into 12 equal-sized portions and place into prepared muffin tins. Place in pre-heated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the meat is cooked through.
- Remove from oven and carefully drain excess moisture off the top of each muffin by gently tipping the tray over a large bowl to be discarded. Absorb excess liquid off top of muffin tin with a paper towel and top each muffin with shredded cheese.
- Return to oven for 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted and starts to turn golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool for several minutes before removing muffins from tin. Serve immediately or freeze for later use.