If you’re looking for a simple, tasty recipe you’ve got to check out this Crockpot Sausage and Peppers recipe!
Perfect for parties and get togethers, a warm and hearty supper at home, and even a field meal!
Or maybe you want a recipe for busy nights and it would be oh so awesome if it’s also something that takes, oh, less than 5 minutes to prep.
It gets better.
This sausage and peppers crockpot recipe then cooks itself.
It just hangs out, simmering in marinara while you move on with your life. Because friends, we have things to do rather than watch our food cook!
Pinch me, and I dreaming????
Ingredients in Crockpot Sausage and Peppers
- Italian Sausages
- green bell pepper – you can use any color bell peppers, I like the contrast of green peppers
- yellow onion
- marinara sauce – pick your favorite brand
- Italian seasoning
- red pepper flakes
- Italian or French rolls
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
How to Make Crock Pot Sausage and Peppers
I love, LOVE this recipe because we’re putting sausages in the slow cooker without browning.
Here’s how it’s going down…
Wash and slice two bell peppers – BOOM.
Peel and slice and onion – DOUBLE BOOM.
Now we’ve got crockpot peppers and onions. Next…
Add 1 package of mild Italian sausages or sweet Italian sausage to your crockpot. We’ve got a crockpot with sausage, peppers and onions going on. Beautiful.
I like to use my round 5 quart slow cooker, unless I’m doubling the recipe.
Add 1 jar of marina sauce and 1 tablespoon of Italian Seasoning.
If, at this point, you haven’t over exerted yourself, you can grab a pinch of red pepper flakes and throw it into the pot, too. Come on, you can do it!
Put the lid on, set it to low, and go about your lovely day.
Variations to make Slow Cooker Italian Sausage & Peppers
- Substitute tomato sauce for the jarred marinara or use crushed tomatoes instead.
- Add some beer to the crockpot for a thinner mixture.
- Keep this recipe gluten free by using gluten free buns or pasta.
I mean, really, it doesn’t get much easier than this. And the smells… If “smellavision” was a thing I would totally share it with you.
When it’s done, you can put it on a nice toasty bun or you can slice it up, add some pasta and eat it with a fork.
The recipe itself is gluten free, so you can pair it with gluten-free hoagie rolls or pasta, if that’s your thing!
Can Sausage and Peppers be Frozen?
Yes, you can freeze this meal!
You have two options…Because there’s no browning of sausage or any kind of fuss like that.
One option is to make this as a freezer meal. Basically, this means you have the meal assembled and ready to go.
Here’s how we do that:
Step 1: Label a gallon sized freezer bag with a permanent marker. Call it whatever will make you remember what it actually is, but let’s just keep it simple and call it “Crockpot Sausage and Peppers”. No need to get super creative here.
Step 2: Add ALL your ingredients to the bag. This may possibly be the easiest freezer meal you’ll ever make.
Step 3: Seal the bag and try to remove as much excess air is possible. This will keep your sausage and peppers tasting fresh and avoid freezer burn.
Step 4: Lay the meal flat in your freezer until frozen solid.
You can store the meal up to three months in the freezer. When you have a crazy busy week (which is most weeks, amiright?), simply thaw your freezer meal and add it to your crockpot. Viola!
If you want to freeze your leftover sausages and peppers, you can do that, too!
After cooking just cool, place in a freezer safe container and label it. Thaw and reheat when you’re ready for an easy peasy, no fuss weeknight dinner.
Pst…Farm friends, crockpot sausage and peppers is also one of my field meals! Just cut up the sausage and peppers and serve over pasta. Bowties and penne work great!
Or you can make Air Fryer Italian Sausage and Peppers.
What to serve with sausage and peppers
If you’re serving the Italian sausage and peppers over pasta, I’d say all you need to serve it with is a hearty sprinkling of mozzarella or parmesan and a simple green salad!
If you’re serving this on a roll as a sandwich, then how about adding some Grilled Corn Salad or your favorite chips? The sausages are juicy and filling so you won’t need much!
More Slow Cooker Sausage Recipes:
Other Slow Cooker Recipes:
- Crockpot Mexican Shredded Chicken
- Slow Cooker Cubed Steak and Gravy
- Baked Italian Sliders
- Pork Roast with Sauerkraut
If you make my Slow cooker sausage and peppers, share on social media and tag me at @thisfarmgirlcooks and #thisfarmgirlcooks – I’ll check it out! Or, leave a comment below!
- 4 Italian sausage links
- 1 large green bell pepper, (or any other color) cut into strips
- 1 medium yellow onion, cut into strips
- 1 jar favorite marinara sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 pinch of red pepper flakes, optional
- 4 Italian or French rolls
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
TO MAKE FRESH
- Combine sausages, peppers, onion, marinara sauce, Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes in 4-6 quart slow cooker
- Cook on high for 3 hours or on low for 6 hours, or until sausage is cooked through and peppers & onions are tender.
- Place on rolls and top with shredded Mozzarella. Enjoy!
TO MAKE AS A FREEZER MEAL
- Label a gallon sized freezer bag. Add sausages, peppers, onion, marinara sauce, Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes. Remove excess air and lay flat to freeze.
TO COOK FROM A FREEZER MEAL
- Thaw in refrigerator overnight. Cook as instructed above.
Tip: Make a double recipe and serve the leftovers over penne pasta. You may want to add a little extra sauce to the mix. Two meals in one is a win in my book!
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 712Total Fat: 44gSaturated Fat: 16gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 107mgSodium: 2181mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 6gSugar: 14gProtein: 31g