Slow Cooker Cube Steak with Gravy is the best comfort food for a cozy weeknight dinner! It’s an easy recipe the whole family will love and it cooks with little effort in the crockpot.
Crock Pot Cubed Steak and Gravy
You’re gonna love this recipe, friends! Tender cubed steak is economical and is practically invented for the slow cooker! It’ll simmer all day, making a flavorful gravy. Supper will be ready when you are after a busy day.
Why You’ll Love this Recipe
Fresh vegetables, lower sodium fewer processed ingredients like no cream of chicken soup make this a healthier take on Cubed Steak and Gravy.
This is a great recipe to make when you’re gone all day and still want an easy weeknight meal.. It’s easy to prep and won’t leave the kitchen a mess as you dash out the door.
As always, we’re using shortcuts where we can in this easy slow cooker dump recipe. I'll always take a helping hand, won't you?!?
Ingredients in slow cooker cube steak:
- Sliced onions and Worcestershire sauce - instead of Lipton onion soup mix, we’re using sliced onion and Worcestershire sauce. This combination is heaven for your taste buds!
- Mushrooms - instead of cream of mushroom soup, we’re using fresh mushrooms here. Buy the pre sliced version if you like and save time and effort! If you haven’t made it to the grocery store, you can sub in canned mushrooms.
- Diced tomatoes - these provide the liquid for our gravy mix. You can use regular or petite diced tomatoes or even fire-roasted tomatoes. It doesn't really taste tomatoey, though, when it combines with the other ingredients in the recipe.
- Cube steak - of course! Cube steak may also be referred to as Swiss steak. It's a round steak that has been run through a meat tenderizer. You may see tiny little slits in this cut of meat and that’s what it’s from! If you’re feeling ambitious and educational, you can read about cuts of beef.
As it cooks, it releases juices and makes its own beef broth to cook in. You can also use round steak, top sirloin or top round steak in this recipe.
- Salt and pepper
- Cornstarch - you can also use all purpose flour
How to Make Crock Pot Cube Steak
Making cube steak in your slow cooker is as easy as 1, 2, 3!
Step 1: Add ingredients. Add onion, sliced mushrooms, diced tomatoes and Worcestershire sauce to your crock pot.
Season cubed steaks with salt and pepper, then nestle them nestle them into the crock pot.
Step 2: Cook it! Cook on low for 5-6 hours until meat is cooked through and tender.
Step 3: Make the gravy recipe. We're using cold water and cornstarch to make our gravy. When we mix these two ingredients and add it to the pot, it's called a slurry. It'll thicken all those yummy juices and turn into a gravy as it thickens. We'll allow it to cook an additional 20-30 minutes until thickened.
Can you slow cook cube steak?
Of course! Cube steak benefits from cooking a long time and slow cooking in the crock pot is a great way to achieve tender cube steak. Other than cooking it in the Instant Pot, it’s the best way to make this cut of beef. I like it way better than cooking cube steak on the stove top
What to serve with crockpot cube steak
I love serving this cozy classic with No Drain Mashed Potatoes, Egg Noodles, or served over rice. For another vegetable side, I'd go with Italian Green Beans or Sauteed Carrots
More Slow Cooker Recipes you’ll love:
Crock Pot Italian Beef Sandwiches
I have more Easy Cube Steak Recipes here.
I think you’ll find this makes an amazing meal! When you make this recipe, please leave a comment or review. I’d love to hear from you!
Slow Cooker Cube Steak and Gravy
Slow Cooker Cube Steak with Gravy is made with wholesome ingredients like onions, mushrooms, Worcestershire sauce and cubed steak.
- 1 onion, sliced
- 16 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1.5 pounds cube steak
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoons pepper
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons cold water
Slow Cooker Instructions
- Add onion, sliced mushrooms, diced tomatoes and Worcestershire sauce to your crock pot. Season steak with salt and pepper and nestle into the pot.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours until meat is cooked through and tender.
- In a small bowl, combine corn starch and cold water. Whisk with a fork until smooth and stir it into the pot. Allow it to cook an additional 20-30 minutes until thickened.
- Serve over rice or mashed potatoes.
To make as a freezer meal
Label a gallon sized freezer bag. Add all ingredients except cornstarch and water. Remove excess air and lay flat to freeze. To cook from a freezer meal, thaw contents in the refrigerator. Add to your slow cooker and follow instructions outlined above.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 494Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 156mgSodium: 561mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 5gSugar: 7gProtein: 49g
This is a great recipe. You rock, Farm Girl! I looked all over the web for a cube steak slow cooker recipe WITHOUT canned soup and gravy mix. I try and avoid those salt laden products. This was tender, flavorful and so easy. I am a new fan of your site.
Thanks so much, Marilou. I love finding ways to make recipes just a little bit healthier ;). Glad to have you here!