This rustic and hearty Tuscan bean soup with sausage is substantial enough to serve as a main course. Sausage and seasonings add a huge punch of flavor, kale adds color and texture and big chunks of potato make for a satisfying meal.
Pair with a crisp, green side salad and dinner is served!
I started making this white bean, kale and sausage soup in the slow cooker over the winter. A rich and hearty soup, it has quickly become one of our favorite comfort foods.
And while I can’t claim this to be a low calorie or carb recipe, I can assure you that a single cup or bowl of this will satisfy you for hours!
Also, I love that this soup has real food ingredients!
Tuscan Sausage and White Bean Soup Ingredients
Bulk mild sausage – I used pork sausage, and I’ve also used a blend with Italian sausage. To keep it lighter, Italian turkey sausage works, too.
Cannellini beans – We’ll blend half the beans in a blender ahead of time to transform the beans a puree. It mimics a heavy cream and gives a velvety texture with less fat!
Crushed red pepper flakes for just a touch of heat
Yukon gold potatoes which I love, because they don’t need to be peeled. Major time saver!
Salt and black pepper
Fresh kale – I buy it already washed, chopped and ready to go!
Parmesan cheese can be omitted if you’re dairy free.
How to Save Tuscan Sausage Soup for Later
Because this soup makes a big ‘ole batch, you may want to freeze some for later. I like to use pint size jars to freeze individual servings.
Total side note but did you know peanut butter jar lids fit these perfectly?!? Seriously, I was so excited to discover that!
You can save larger portions in these quart sized soup containers.
Just be sure to label, label, label your freezer containers! Frozen food looks quite different than fresh and no one wants to play, “guess the leftovers” game, right?
Note: I may use referral or affiliate links for the products I love.
How to Make Tuscan Sausage and White Bean Soup
STEP 1: Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the sausage, drain the fat and add the cooked sausage to the slow cooker.
STEP 3: Add chicken stock, red pepper flakes, chopped onion, potatoes and stir to combine. Season with salt and black pepper.
Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-7. Remove lid and add kale and Parmesan cheese. Stir to combine and allow 5-10 minutes for kale to soften before serving.
It’s seriously delish!
Tuscan Bean Soup with Sausage and Kale
- 2 lbs. bulk mild sausage
- 2 15- oz. cans cannellini beans*
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 small yellow onion finely chopped
- 2 lbs. Yukon gold potatoes scrubbed and cut into small chunks
- Salt and black pepper
- 3 cups fresh kale finely chopped
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and brown, breaking it up into small bite-sized chunks with a spatula while it cooks. Remove from heat and carefully drain excess fat from pan. Transfer to a 5 or 6-quart slow cooker crock.
- Puree one can of undrained cannellini beans in a blender or food processor. Add to the slow cooker. Drain and rinse the other can of cannellini beans and add the whole beans to slow cooker.
- Add chicken stock, red pepper flakes, chopped onion, potatoes and stir to combine. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-7. Remove lid and add kale, Parmesan cheese. Stir to combine and allow 5-10 minutes for kale to soften before serving.