Looking for an easy and delicious salad recipe? Then you’ve gotta try this broccoli salad recipe with craisins!
This side dish is perfect for a summer picnic or potluck salad, and it’s always a hit with family and friends. Best of all, it only takes a few minutes to throw together.
I think we all know how delicious a broccoli salad can be. This recipe is no doubt super tasty or I wouldn’t be sharing it with you!
Basically, I’ve taken the classic broccoli salad that is served at potlucks everywhere and added some tart dried cranberries + bacon taking it up a level.
Then, I made a slightly healthier version made with honey instead of refined sugar and updated the tangy dressing to include Greek yogurt to cut through the mayonnaise or Miracle Whip.
While this crowd pleaser and family favorite is most certainly a summertime salad that’s a picnic and potluck favorite, it’s also a great recipe for a delicious and filling cold lunch option.
Oh, and not to get all geeky on you, but with its bright green color, the broccoli is a vitamin C powerhouse. KA-POW!
Alrighty, let’s talk about what’s going into this broccoli salad…
What’s in broccoli salad?
- Fat free Greek yogurt – you can use whole milk yogurt if you like
- Apple cider vinegar – good for gut health! You can also use white vinegar if you prefer
- Honey – nature’s sweetness
- Fresh broccoli florets
- Red onion
- Dried cranberries – I love the contrast the tart cranberries make against the rich dressing. Sometimes you’ll see the Ocean Spray brand at the grocery store, aka “craisins”. Dried cherries can be substituted to mix things up
- Roasted sunflower seeds – for a little crunch + a little nutty flavor. You could also substitute pumpkin seeds, especially in the autumn months
- Crispy bacon – for real, it needs to be crispy bacon, soggy bacon just won’t do. Because crispy and salty bacon makes everything tastier.
If you want to be ahead of the meal prep game, use your oven for make ahead bacon.
How to make broccoli salad
This recipe is super easy to put together….
Make the broccoli salad dressing
Mix the yogurt, mayonnaise, vinegar and honey in a medium bowl.
Prep the raw broccoli by cutting it into bite size pieces.
Take the extra minute to cut it into bite size pieces. Have you ever taken a huge bite of broccoli? Then you know that it’s some serious chew work, friends. Let the knife do the work now; not your incisors.
Add the broccoli florets and red onions to the dressing. Use a large spoon to toss to coat in the dressing mixture.
Add the cranberries, sunflower seeds, and bacon.
Stir to mix.
It’s really that easy, friends!
This is also an awesome on the go meal we love, too!
Shortcuts to make this easy broccoli salad recipe
Head to the produce aisle at the grocery story to pickup precut chopped broccoli florets.
Use precooked bacon bits from the grocery store or if you’ve made bacon ahead of time (you genius, you) you already have bacon in your freezer
How to meal prep broccoli cranberry salad
Combine the dressing ingredients and store in an airtight container. Make the rest of the broccoli salad (the broccoli, red onion, sunflower seeds, etc.) and store that separately.
Dress the salad just before serving.
Variations to change up your salad:
A delicious addition is shredded cheddar cheese, or any mild cheese, really
You can use a cauliflower and broccoli mixture to give added color and texture.
Here’s a low carb broccoli salad version if you want to check it out!
If you keep your broccoli salad refrigerated and covered, it’s good for 2-3 days. After that the dressing may start to get watery.
I really like the crunchy broccoli so I keep mine uncooked. If you want to give your broccoli a quick steam, you can do that. Just be sure to limit the cooking time and remove it before. it’s fully cooked. Shock it in ice water to stop the cooking and be sure to drain the broccoli well so it doesn’t water down the salad.
What to serve with broccoli salad
This is a delicious side dish alongside honey mustard grilled chicken or steak.
Other salad recipes you’ll enjoy
If you make this broccoli salad recipe with craisins, leave a recipe review or comment below. I’d love to hear from you!
This post was originally published March 2020 and updated March 2022.
- 1/2 cup fat free Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 2 Tbsp chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup roasted sunflower seeds
- 2 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- To make the dressing: Mix the yogurt, mayonnaise, vinegar and sugar in a medium sized bowl.
- Add the broccoli and red onions to the dressing. Use a large spoon to coat the broccoli in the dressing.
- Add the cranberries, sunflower seeds, and bacon. Stir gently to mix.
- Season with salt and black pepper, if desired. Refrigerate until time to serve.
1/8 of the recipe is 4 WW points.
Dried cherries can be substituted for the craisins/dried cranberries
Refrigerate leftovers for 2-3 days in an airtight container.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 146Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 370mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 3gSugar: 9gProtein: 5g