This easy version of creamy potato salad recipe is a traditional style salad, made with mayonnaise and a little sour cream and the perfect blend of spices! Better yet, the potatoes don’t need to be peeled!
When an easy potato salad recipe is decades old, it has to be good, right???
I still have memories of eating this traditional potato salad in a lawn chair on my grandparents farm.
It’s old school and is soooo good!
Now here’s the twist. This creamy potato salad recipe is made with sour cream AND mayo. So while this is certainly a traditional potato salad recipe, that’s a little different spin. It adds a nice little tang to break up the mayo.
And let’s be honest, this potato salad recipe uses a healthy amount of mayo. I think back in the day calories just floated into outer space somewhere.
So to counter the mayo, we’re using Yukon gold potatoes. These potatoes are thin skinned which means you don’t need to peel them.
What? Mind blowing, right?
How to make creamy potato salad with mayonnaise and sour cream
It’s really quite simple…
Cook your potatoes on the stovetop by boiling in water, or you can make them in your Instant Pot.
Yes, you heard that right. My recipe includes instructions for making your potatoes in a 6 quart or larger Instant Pot or other programmable pressure cooker instead of boiling them in water. That’s a huge time and effort saver!
You know I love finding shortcuts for you…
Mix the potato salad dressing in a separate bowl until combined.
Pour over the cooled (or partially cooled) potatoes and stir gently to combine.
It’s gonna look like there’s too much dressing, so I don’t want you to freak out. Cover and refrigerated the potato salad overnight. This gives the potatoes a chance to soak up all that goodness.
When you’re ready to serve up your potato salad, top it with a sprinkle of paprika for color, and if you’d like, some hard boiled egg slices.
And that’s all there is to this creamy potato salad recipe. Super easy, right???
Here are some other easy recipes you’ll love:
- Mayo Free Potato Salad
- Italian Farro Salad
- Asparagus & Green Bean Salad
- Quick & Healthy Pasta Salad Recipes
- Easy Summer Corn Salad
- Easy Cucumber Tomato Salad
- 5 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, washed
- 1.5 cups mayonnaise
- 2/3 cups sour cream
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp yellow mustard
- 2 tsp dried minced onion
- 1 tsp celery seed
- salt & pepper to taste
- 4 hard boiled eggs, sliced to top, optional
- 1 tsp paprika, for garnish
To cook the potatoes (traditional method)
- Cut potatoes into bite size pieces. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, then cook for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside to cool.
To cook the potatoes (Instant Pot/Pressure Cooker method)
- Add 1 cup of water and trivet to the Instant Pot. Place whole potatoes in the pot atop the trivet. Most should fit in a 6 quart or larger pot, but do not exceed the fill line. Prick potatoes with a sharp knife. Set pressure to manual for 20 minutes, then let them naturally release. Allow to cool slightly before cutting into bite size pieces.
To make the dressing for the potato salad:
- In a medium sized bowl, combine mayonnaise (1.5 cups), sour cream (2/3 cup), sugar (3 T.), apple cider vinegar (3 T.), yellow mustard (2 tsp), dried minced onion (2 tsp). Stir until all ingredients are combined, then fold into the diced potatoes, gently folding until incorporated.
- Mixture will be very creamy but will soak into the potatoes as it sits.
- Refrigerate overnight. Stir before serving and top with hard boiled egg slices and paprika.
* I like using Yukon Gold because they don't need to be peeled, however if that's your preference you certainly can!
*To make this dairy free, omit the sour cream
*Sugar can be omitted if desired.
* Red wine vinegar can be used in place of apple cider vinegarCalorie count without hard boiled eggs
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 294Unsaturated Fat: 0g
More Potato Recipes
Loaded Twice Baked Potato Casserole – A hearty, make ahead casserole filled with all the baked potato fixings. Cheese, green onion, sour cream, and of course, bacon!!