This chicken fajita soup recipe is a one pot recipe that can be made in the Instant Pot or Crock Pot. Oh, and bonus - it's gluten free, filling and healthy, too!
I've already tackled chicken fajitas with my sheet pan chicken fajitas, which happen to be low carb and can be made in the slow cooker, too.
So now, it's time to take my slow cooker chicken fajita recipe and turn it into a flavorful and filling soup!
After a year of nesting in place, I need a reboot of better for us recipes!
This is the perfect, tasty recipe to add to your repertoire, friends! Not only is it easy and delicious, it's healthy, wholesome and good for the soul, too!
This recipe was originally posted in October 2019. Photos and additional tips were added March 2020
Ingredients for fajita soup
At first glance, it may look like there are too many ingredients in this recipe. But fear not, friends, I'd never steer you wrong!
You know I love keeping things super easy and meal prep for this recipe is no different.
- Red onion - if you don't have red onion, you can use yellow or white onion.
- Red and yellow bell peppers - this is my favorite but again, I've used green pepper, yellow or orange pepper -whatever you have in your fridge or garden!, sliced.
You can also use use a pre-cut fajita mix from the produce aisle. Or, for more convenience, use a frozen fajita blend! We work smarter, not harder, around here!
- Poblano pepper - these aren't super spicy. But if you have no spice tolerance, you can omit it.
And if you don't readily find poblano peppers (I'm talking to you, Aldi shoppers!) just use a green bell pepper instead.
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts - you can use chicken thighs as well
- Diced fire roasted diced tomatoes - all you have to do is open the can - easy peasy!
- Chicken broth - you can make your own homemade chicken broth or use a store bought brand
- Spices - these are all typical in a fajita seasoning mix and you probably already have them in your pantry. Ground cumin, chili powder, oregano and garlic powder. If you're looking for a shortcut, I recommend using two teaspoons of this lower sodium fajita seasoning in place of the dried spices
- Black beans - again, just open the can, rinse and drain! If you're watching sodium content, be sure to check the labels on different brands.
- Fresh lime juice - if you can swing it, use fresh! It's such a nice flavor addition!
How to make chicken fajita soup
To make this in the crock pot, add all the ingredients except the black beans, lime juice, and serving ingredients! The detailed instructions are in the recipe card below.
It doesn't get much easier than that!
What to serve with chicken fajita soup
For serving: top with diced avocados, red onion, sour cream, cilantro and/or shredded cheese. If you're not on a low carb diet, you could serve this over slow cooker brown rice.
Can you freeze chicken fajita soup?
Leftover chicken fajita soup reheats perfectly! You can refrigerate it for an easy meal or freeze this healthy soup. In fact, I encourage it!
My favorite containers for freezing soup are these 16 ounce soup containers for freezing one or two portions. To freeze bigger portions of soup I use these 32 ounce soup containers.
You can also make chicken fajita soup as a make ahead freezer meal, too!
Chicken Fajita Soup in the Instant Pot
I like to make my chicken fajita soup in the Instant Pot, but it can also be made on the stovetop or in the slow cooker.
Your peppers may be a little soft if you go the slow cooker route but it will still be delicious.
More Instant Pot Soup Recipes
More Healthy Slow Cooker Soup
- Healthy Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Soup
- Ranch Chicken Chili
- Best Minestrone Soup
- Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup (Slow Cooker)
And for a tried and true classic, you can't go wrong with Dutch Oven Chicken Noodle Soup!
Other Instant Pot Recipes
I hope you'll give my chicken fajita soup recipe a try! If you make it and share on Instagram, tag me @thisfarmgirlcooks and #thisfarmgirlcooks.
Hungry for more? Be sure to stay in touch on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Chicken Fajita Soup Recipe
This chicken fajita soup recipe is a one pot, Instant Pot recipe that is both flavorful and filling. Oh, and bonus – it’s gluten free and healthy, too!
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ red onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 Poblano pepper, seeded and chopped
- Salt and black pepper
- 1.5 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 14 oz. can diced fire roasted tomatoes, with liquid
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- avocados, sliced, for serving
- red onion, chopped, for serving
- Shredded Mexican cheese blend, for serving
- Fresh cilantro, chopped (optional), for serving
- Add olive oil to Instant Pot® and select the Sauté function. Set to high and once the display reads “hot,” add red onion, bell peppers, and Poblano pepper. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and cook, stirring continually, until the onion and peppers are crisp-tender and develop a bit of color, approximately 4-5 minutes. Switch unit to “off” and transfer veggies to a bowl. Set aside.
- Season chicken breasts on both sides with salt and black pepper, to taste. Place chicken in Instant Pot®, along with tomatoes, chicken broth, cumin, chili powder, Mexican oregano, and garlic powder. Stir to combine.
- Add the lid and set the pressure valve to “seal.” Select the “Manual” cooking option on the high setting and set cook time to 10 minutes. When done cooking, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, and then do a quick release for any remaining pressure.
- Remove lid and shred chicken breasts with two forks. Add sautéed veggies, black beans and lime juice. Stir to combine and taste. Adjust seasonings as desired.
- Allow soup to sit on “Warm” setting for several minutes until the veggies and beans are heated through. Serve immediately topped with sliced avocados, red onion, Mexican cheese, and fresh cilantro, if desired.
TO MAKE CHICKEN FAJITA SOUP IN THE SLOW COOKER
- Omit the olive oil. Add remaining ingredients from the red onion up to the garlic powder to a slow cooker. Cook on high for 6-7 hours until chicken is cooked to a temperature of 165°.
- Remove chicken to shred. Add black beans to the slow cooker and stir to heat through. Shred the chicken and add back into your pot and allow to simmer 5-10 minutes before serving.
TO MAKE AS A FREEZER MEAL
- Label a gallon size freezer bag. Add red onion, bell peppers, and Poblano pepper.
- Label a second gallon size freezer bag. Place chicken, tomatoes, chicken broth, cumin, chili powder, Mexican oregano, and garlic powder in the second bag. Lay both bags flat to freeze.
TO COOK FROM A FREEZER MEAL
- Thaw overnight. Follow instructions as directed above.
Green bell pepper can be substituted for the poblano pepper.
A frozen fajita mix can be substituted for the fresh vegetables
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 287Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 73mgSodium: 961mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 7gSugar: 4gProtein: 31g
I love chicken fajita. I am only familiar with sandwiches, but soup is something new to me. Definitely going to make it
I love the diversity in cooking techniques you have talked about here, there is an option for everyone! The soup looks fab and I love that you can freeze it also. Cheers!
Everything about this is perfect for our family, no wonder we love it so much. We are huge fans of soups, Mexican flavours and anything with chicken or beans.
Soup looks great -- I like that you took chicken fajitas that everyone loves and turned it into a soup. Will be trying it soon.
My family loves chicken fajitas and I know they are going to love this soup! Can't wait to make it for them!