Healthy Oven Baked Chicken Fajitas are an easy dinner AND also a freezer meal. Seasoned chicken, bell peppers, and onions are all cooked up on one pan!
Our family loves sheet pan meals like these oven baked chicken fajitas.
I like them because they’re simple and they cook quickly. Generally, they’re easy to meal prep, too!
The kiddos love them because they help with the dishes.
Do you see where I’m going here? One pan means fewer dishes….
Either way, it’s a win for everyone!!
How to Make Chicken Fajita Seasoning
Chicken is such a versatile ingredient and it will take on the flavors with seasoning.
This Mexican chicken fajitas recipe uses a blend of chili powder, cumin, oregano, black pepper and a pinch of cayenne pepper for a little kick.
If you don’t like it spicy, leave out the cayenne. That’s the beauty of cooking at home, right??
The key here is to let all these flavors hang out. Season the chicken, combine it with peppers and onions and put them in a gallon bag.
Let the chicken fajitas hang out a bit so the flavors combine.
When it’s time to cook, put the chicken fajitas on a sheet pan and away you go!
Tips for Chicken Fajitas in the oven:
- Make a double batch. Make one for now, and one to stow in the freezer for later because it’s going to take you literally only an extra five minutes.
- This summer when your garden is bursting with fresh peppers or onions, make batches for later.
- Let your butcher help you out. Many supermarkets will cut your chicken into fajita strips for no extra charge. Just give them a call ahead or stop by when you first enter the store to see if they have time. Note: Saturdays are not the best day for this, wink wink.
- Seriously, put the words chicken fajitas on your freezer bag if you make them as a freezer meal. I’ve learned this the hard way, so please trust me…In a few weeks you may forget what they are and no one likes a mystery meat!
Leftovers are a great baked potato topping or easy breakfast with hash browns.
Or, how about chicken fajita pizza? Yum!
What to serve with chicken fajitas
I love to serve these healthy chicken fajitas along with corn or flour tortillas, salsa, sour cream and cheese.
Spanish rice or cilantro rice brown rice is an awesome side dish to serve with fajitas, as well!
Other one pan recipes you’ll love:
- Chile Verde Pork Burritos – Instant Pot
- Sheet Pan Salmon and Asparagus
- Chicken Fajita Soup
- Pork Tenderloin Sheet Pan Dinner
When you make these oven baked chicken fajitas, give me a shout by commenting below. It will help others who make this easy recipe, too!
I predict you’ll be singing freezer meal praises when you put these out and they’re ready to go!
Oven Baked Chicken Fajitas – Sheet Pan Recipe
- 1.5 pounds chicken breast cut into strips
- 1 onion sliced
- 3-4 bell peppers any color
- 2 tsp oil
Fajita Seasoning: (or buy a packet of seasoning – your choice)
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 4 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
To Make Fresh
- Combine all ingredients in a gallon sized ziplock bag. Marinate for several hours, or overnight, in the fridge.
- To Cook: Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Transfer fajita mix onto a lightly greased sheet pan with sides.
- Cook until chicken is cooked through and veggies are tender, about 20 minutes.
To Make as a Freezer Meal
- Meal Prep: Combine all ingredients into a gallon sized zip lock bag. Label and remove excess air. Freeze flat for later use.To Cook: Thaw overnight in refrigerator. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Transfer fajita mix onto a lightly greased sheet pan with sides. Cook until chicken is cooked through and veggies are tender, about 20 minutes.