Baked Chicken and Peppers Casserole is a one-dish, family favorite recipe that deserves a place in your dinner rotation. An easy to make spice blend comes together with chicken and veggies, all baked in the oven.
Did I mention it's ready in under 30 minutes? Winner winner, chicken dinner!!
I don't think I'll ever run out of different ways to make recipes using whole chicken breasts. The great news is, I keep sharing my new favorites with you so YOU won't run out of ideas, either!
Why you'll love this Baked Chicken and Peppers Recipe
This is a quick dinner recipe using just a few, wholesome ingredients. I even have a spice shortcut if you're pressed for time.
You probably have all the spices you need to make the seasoning blend in your pantry cabinet. Plus, making this ourselves means we get to control the sodium content and adjust the mixture to our family's own unique taste buds.
One pan dishes are perfect for no fuss, delicious dinners on busy weeknights
Ingredients in Chicken and Peppers Casserole
- chicken breasts - skinless, boneless chicken thighs may be substituted if you prefer.
- olive oil - vegetable oil or canola oil may be used
- seasoning blend - garlic powder, onion powder, dried minced onion, smoked paprika, ground cayenne pepper, ground black pepper.
- sweet bell peppers - I used red peppers and yellow bell pepper because I liked the colors. Use whatever color you have or is on sale at the grocery store.
- sweet onion - yellow onion, red onion or white onion will work if that’s what you have on hand.
- cream cheese - I used full fat cream cheese
- shredded cheese - I used Colby Jack, but any of your favorite cheeses can be used.
Tips and Recipe Variations
- Use whatever kind of bell peppers you have around. Green bell peppers are usually the least expensive in the grocery store.
- You can use the cheese mixture of your choice. I would suggest a mozzarella, cheddar, a mixture of gouda and mozzarella or if you want to add a little spice add some Monterey Jack. Picky eaters? Mozzarella cheese is your go-to.
- If you can find the time to shred the cheese yourself (I know, it’s such a drag but I'm cheering for you!…), it really melts waaaaay better than pre-shredded cheese. That being said, you can use a bag of pre-shredded cheese in a pinch.
Baked Chicken and Peppers recipe for two
This recipe is made to serve 8. To make a smaller portion, I recommend you cut the recipe in half. Freeze half the recipe for another meal, or cook the recipe as is for 4 servings.
Other shortcuts you'll find useful are to use a teaspoon of taco seasoning or fajita seasoning in place of the spice blend.
You can vary the leftovers by changing up the side (pasta, rice, etc) and use the other half as a salad topping.
For easiest chicken prep, you can opt to use chicken tenderloins. Half of the chopping is already done for you and you just need to cube them.
You can substitute the seasoning with 2 tablespoons of taco seasoning or a fajita spice blend.
Check out your produce aisle for pre-cut peppers and onions to save a step.
To Make as a Freezer meal
You can prepare this meal ahead of time.
In a plastic bag mix chicken, oil, spices, peppers, and onions. Take as much air out as possible. Massage the bag so the chicken and veggies get coated and place in the fridge until ready to use. You can also freeze the bag and use it within 2-3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight.
How to meal prep this ahead of time:
Cut the chicken into bite size pieces and store in a large mixing bowl in the refrigerator along with the cut peppers and onions. I know the recipe card has this in two steps but I'm giving you permission to break the rules!
Mix the seasoning blend in a small bowl and set aside
What to serve with Baked Chicken and Peppers
Serve this alongside your favorite rice side, pasta, or cauliflower rice. A side salad is nice, too!
Or, turn these into flour tortilla wraps or use a whole grain wrap. Hello, field meal!
How to store leftovers
Store leftovers in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
More delicious chicken recipes
If you make this Baked Chicken and Peppers recipe, leave a recipe review or comment below. I'd love to hear from you!
Baked Chicken and Peppers Casserole
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon minced dried onion
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 small sweet onion, sliced
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature and cut into cubes
- 2 cups shredded Colby Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a 9x13 casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Add the cubed chicken pieces to a large bowl. Add the olive oil and toss to coat the chicken.
- Make the seasoning blend. In a small bowl, combine the garlic salt, onion powder, onion minced, smoked paprika, ground cayenne pepper (if using), and ground pepper. Stir to combine.
- Sprinkle the seasoning over the chicken and mix until all coated.
- Add the sliced peppers and onion slices gently fold in to coat.
- Add the diced cream cheese to the chicken mixture.
- Add the chicken casserole mixture to your prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until the cheese is nice and golden and the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165°F when measured with a digital meat thermometer.
To Make as a Freezer Meal:
Add the chicken, oil, spices, peppers, and onions to a large zip top freezer bag, removing as much air as possible. *Note: I don't recommend adding the cream cheese to the freezer meal. Massage the bag so the chicken and veggies get coated with spices and oil. Lay flat and freeze for up to 3 months. To use, thaw in fridge overnight. Add cream cheese before baking and follow instructions in the recipe card.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 452Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 151mgSodium: 348mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 45g
I DON'T HAVE CREAM CHEESE. I HAVE RANCH DRESSING, CAN THAT BE A SUBSTITUTE?
This was delicious! The only thing I added was two cloves of garlic. Instead of the seasonings listed, I used taco seasoning and Lowry’s. I served it with yellow rice and jalapeño pinto beans, fresh jalapeños and cilantro. So good!