Stove top turkey burgers are a quick and easy meal perfect for busy weeknights. They are made with ground turkey, Dijon mustard, honey and spices, and they are cooked in a skillet on the stove top.
These turkey burgers are healthy, affordable, and delicious and a bigger version of my ground turkey sliders.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- They are quick and easy to make no matter what the weather.
- Making these turkey burgers is easy, it's almost ridiculous! Combine a few ingredients like ground turkey (of course), dijon, mustard, red onion and a dash of hot sauce. Combine, form into burger patties, and cook on the grill for an awesome grilled turkey burger you can be proud of!
- They are a great way to get your lean protein intake.
- Perfect for busy nights, this make ahead, freezer friendly dinner idea is one you'll make again and again. I recommend you make a double recipe - one for tonight's dinner and another to save for later.
- They are a kid-friendly meal.
- Ground turkey - My recommendation is you use a ground turkey variety that has a little fat in it. This will help to ensure you end up with a juicy burger as a final product. I used an 85/15% ground turkey mix.
- Dijon mustard
- Red onion
- Hot sauce
- Salt and ground black pepper
How to make turkey burgers on the stove top
Make the turkey burger mixture. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix gently with your hands to combine.
Form the turkey burgers. Form into four patties. Heat a skillet on the stove top over medium high heat. Cook until they reach a temperature of 165°F when measured with a meat thermometer.
Set patties on a plate. Add to buns or eat as is along with your favorite toppings.
I really like the more deliciate flavor of Dijon, but you can use yellow mustard in a pinch.
There are many variations of turkey burger recipes. Here are a few examples:
- A Southwestern turkey burger - use ground turkey, cornbread crumbs, chili powder, cumin, and cayenne pepper. It can be topped with cheese, avocado, and sour cream.
- A Mediterranean turkey burger - use ground turkey, feta cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, and oregano. It can be topped with hummus.
- A Thai turkey burger - made with ground turkey, peanut butter, soy sauce, and ginger. It can be topped with sriracha sauce and a side of rice.
These are just a few ideas to get you started. Feel free to experiment with different ingredients and flavors to create your own unique turkey burger recipe!
How to store leftovers
Leftovers will keep in an airtight container for 3-4 days. Reheat over low heat on the stovetop or briefly in the microwave.
To make as a freezer meal
In a medium bowl, gently combine all ingredients except the burger buns. When mixed, shape into four patties.
Form into four patties and freeze in a single layer inside a gallon zip bag. Thaw before cooking as outlined above.
What to serve with turkey burgers
More burger Recipes
Stove Top Turkey Burgers
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 pound 85/15 ground turkey
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce such as Tabasco
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 burger buns optional
- In a medium bowl, gently combine all ingredients except the burger buns. When mixed, shape into four patties.
- Heat a nonstick pan on medium high heat. Cook for 8-12 minutes, turning once. Cook until meat reaches 165 degrees when measured with a digital meat thermometer. Serve with desired toppings.
To make as a freezer meal:In a medium bowl, gently combine all ingredients except the burger buns. When mixed, shape into four patties. Form into four patties and freeze in a single layer inside a gallon zip bag. Thaw before cooking as outlined above.
This post was originally published May 11, 2018 and updated with step by step instructions and new photos in May 2023.