Chicken parmesan sliders are mini sandwiches are packed with flavorful chicken, marinara sauce, and melted mozzarella cheese, all served on soft slider buns. This healthy and easy version is perfect as a party appetizer or a family-friendly meal
These handheld hot sandwiches are sure to please any crowd.
As a farm family, we’re always on the go. Portable foods and sliders are on of our mainstays.
Chicken bacon ranch sliders, funeral sandwiches and baked Italian sliders all have a spot on our meal time rotation. They make an easy weeknight meal and can be served on the go, so it’s a no-brainer around here!
And while we love slow cooker chicken parmesan, I thought a fun, handheld version of the same flavors was in order.
It’s wonderful for game day, as a snack for growing kids (come on, they eat all. the. time!) or as a meal.
Another bonus - they can be partially assembled ahead of time as a freezer meal. I love it!
Here’s what you need to make these tasty slider sandwiches.
- Slider buns - I like the size of King’s Hawaiian Slider rolls. They’re a little bigger than the dinner roll size and I find they get less soggy in this recipe.
- Butter and garlic powder - for toasting the buns. It’s worth the extra step, trust me.
- Ground chicken
- Parmesan cheese - I used the kind in hte green can for this recipe, but you can get fancy and grate your own if you prefer.
- Italian seasoning - this is a blend of x, y, and z.
- Olive oil - because the chicken is so lean, we need a little bit of oil to cook the chicken parm patties
- Mozzarella cheese
- Marinara sauce - use your favorite blend with one tip - be sure it’s a thicker and not runny marinara sauce. I used Newman’s own for this recipe.
Before you head out to the grocery store, let's see if we can use what you already have!
Cheese - sliced provolone cheese also works.
Meat - you can use ground turkey in a pinch.
Italian Seasoning - you can make your own, or use equal parts of dried basil, oregano, thyme and rosemary.
How to make Chicken Parm Sliders
This is a healthier version of sliders and I think you'll be pleased with how easy it is to make them!
Toast the bottom bun layer. This is going to prevent us from having soggy buns. I'll just leave that right there.
Mix the chicken, grated Parmesan cheese and Italian seasonings, much like you would a meatloaf.
Portion the meat into equal sized patties. They'll shrink a little as they cook.
Cook in a large skillet over medium heat until they reach a temperature of 165°F when measured with a digital meat thermometer.
Place the chicken patties on the buns, then top with marinara sauce and shredded cheese. Top with the bun halves and bake.
Bake until the cheese is melty, about 6-8 minutes. Cut and serve.
- You can use ground turkey instead of the ground chicken
- Add some thinly sliced prosciutto for a fancy pants version of chicken parmesan. Nope, it’s not traditional but would be delicious
- Add a sprinkle of red pepper flakes to the garlic butter sauce.
- If Hawaiian rolls are too sweet for your taste, use regular slider buns or even the cheap burger buns, which are only slightly larger.
How to store leftovers
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for 2-3 days. They will start to get a little soggy, though so maybe you should eat them all, wink wink!
To make as a freezer meal
In addition, these chicken parmesan sliders also make an awesome freezer meal. Make a double batch of the slider mixture. Cook one batch for now and freeze the other for later!
Chicken Parmesan Sliders
- 9 slider buns I used King's Hawaiian Slider Rolls
- 3 Tablespoons butter melted
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pound ground chicken
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup marinara sauce divided
- Combine the melted butter and garlic powder. Remove the tops of the slider buns. Place the bottom half in an oven safe casserole or pan. Brush the bottom half of the buns with the garlic butter.
- Broil on low for 60-90 seconds until lightly toasted. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine ground chicken, Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning. Use your hands to gently combine.
- Divide the portion into 9 equally sized slider patties. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil, then add the chicken patties and cook, turning once, for 5-6 minutes per side. Patties are cooked through when they reach a temperature of 165°F when measured with a meat thermometer.
- Remove from the heat. Top each patty with a generous spoon of marinara sauce. (The remainder will be served as a dipping sauce).
- Add mozzarella cheese and replace the tops of the buns.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes, until cheese begins to melt. If the tops look like they're turning too brown, you can loosely tent the pan with aluminum foil.
- When the cheese is melted, remove from the oven and serve.
TO MAKE AS A FREEZER MEAL
- Prepare a gallon sized freezer bag by labeling.
- Combine ground chicken, Parmesan and Italian seasoning in a medium bowl. Mix gently with your hands.
- Divide portion into 6 sliders. Make into patties. Add to prepared bag.
- To cook, thaw and cook as instructed above.
This recipe was originally posted on May 15, 2018 and was updated with new photos and step-by-step instructions in May 2023.