A party isn’t complete without Baked Spinach & Artichoke Dip! Creamy & cheesy, this appetizer bubbles with fresh spinach, cheeses and marinated artichokes.
My baked spinach and artichoke dip has no mayo but it is NOT short on flavor. Sour cream and cream cheese come to the party along with Parmesan and mozzarella. This warm dip and my buffalo chicken dip are a must at every party!
Almost every restaurant has a version of this spinach and artichoke dip. From Applebees to Chilis it’s always a fan favorite.
How to Make Baked Spinach and Artichoke Dip
I like making fresh spinach artichoke dip for a few reasons.
First, I never remember to thaw my frozen spinach ahead of time. And sometimes the packaging on frozen spinach has foil in it which has more than once zapped my microwave to full attention as I was trying to defrost it.
Then, you’ve got to squeeze out the liquid….it’s just a pain in the you know what.
Since the color of fresh spinach is beautiful and I have it in my fridge my our breakfast smoothies it’s kind of a no brainer.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add spinach, basil, salt and pepper and cook until the spinach wilts – only four or five minutes.
- Move the spinach into a mixing bowl and add the artichokes and four cheeses – sour cream, cream cheese and Parmesan cheese and half-cup of the mozzarella cheese. Give it all a big ole stir to combine.
- Put into a baking dish, spread it out, top with a little more mozzarella for a beautiful cheesy layer.
Tips for making your dip
Fresh basil is awesome in this spinach and artichoke dip but if you don’t have it, you can 100 percent substitute dried basil, as noted in the printable recipe.
Also, when you’re shopping for jarred artichoke hearts grab the ones that are packed in water, not marinated in oil.
Cheesy spinach artichoke dip can be prepped ahead of time and refrigerated up to two days in advance. Add a few minutes to the baking time to serve when guests arrive.
Keep this recipe gluten free by serving gluten free corn tortilla chips. Or, you can easily make your own toasted tortilla chips!
Instructions to Make in the Slow Cooker
If you’re feeding a crowd this is a great recipe to double and cook in the crockpot. Just make as outlined in the recipe, and cook in the slow cooker until bubbly and heated throughout. It will take about two hours.
Instructions to Make with Frozen Spinach
If you absolutely love frozen spinach, or really prefer using frozen spinach, simply thaw it, squeeze out the moisture and proceed to step 2.
What to Serve with Hot Spinach and Artichoke Dip
As mentioned above, you can serve with gluten free tortilla chips. Also, pita chips, toasted baguette or crackers are delish, too!
For a lower carb option, mini peppers, carrots and celery stick are also great for dipping.
You can pretty much put this cheesy dip on any kind of vessel – just get it into your mouth!
Other Dip Recipes You’ll Love
Note: I may use referral or affiliate links for the products I love.
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 tsp minced garlic
- 5 cups fresh spinach, long stems removed and roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 14.5 oz. jar artichokes, packed in water, drained and chopped
- 1/3 cup full-fat sour cream
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- ¾ cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Heat olive oil and minced garlic in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chopped spinach and basil and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until spinach wilts, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Transfer wilted spinach mixture to a large bowl and add chopped artichokes, sour cream, cream cheese, Parmesan cheese and ½ cup Mozzarella cheese. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Transfer spinach-artichoke mixture to prepared baking dish and spread into a uniform layer. Top with remaining Mozzarella cheese and place in pre-heated oven until heated through and cheese on top starts to turn golden brown, approximately 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately with tortilla chips.
1 tsp dried basil may be substituted for fresh.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 grams
Amount Per Serving Calories 453Total Fat 37gSaturated Fat 18gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 15gCholesterol 90mgSodium 668mgCarbohydrates 20gFiber 7gSugar 4gProtein 15g
Shared on Meal Plan Monday