On the go sandwiches and lunch ideas are key for farmers and busy families who like to keep moving. Portable meals are key for farm field lunches and dinners!
Every farm family has their own unique way of operating. This holds true, too, for tractor meals during the busy season. I get tons of requests from farm wives, looking for cold lunch ideas for husbands and hand held food recipes. So here are my farm girl recipes!
Some families stop for a quick lunch break and others like to keep the tractors rolling. Some farms have wives or husbands who deliver meals to the field, while others need a packed lunch for their farmers lunch box because the spouse works off the farm.
Before we move on, let’s start with this.
There’s no right or wrong way to feed your family OR your farmer. Feed people, keep them safe and healthy, and keep things moving.
Girl, cook and do your thing!
On the go lunch ideas that can be eaten without a plate or utensils are totally necessary some times, don’t you agree?
So if you’re of the “keep on moving” mindset, read on…I’ve got some good lunch ideas for you!
Sloppy joes, you have no place here. Some of these meals to bring to the field are outside the realm of ham and cheese sandwiches, so keep an open mind!
On the Go Lunch Ideas and Farm Meals
1. Easy Chicken Nugget Burritos – This Farm Girl Cooks. Just like they sound…they’re easy, they have chicken nuggets, and they’re made into a burrito. Genius!!
2. Cranberry Almond Chicken Salad – A Butterfull Mind. Cooked chicken, crunchy apples and sweet cranberries make my mouth do a happy dance! Serve on a croissant or other fun bread to change things up! Tractor meals don’t need to be boring.
3. Warm Ham and Swiss on a Croissant – No recipe needed, pretty self explanatory here. Use dijon mustard mixed with a little mayo if you’re feeling adventurous.
4. Southwestern Crispy Grilled Turkey & Cheese Sandwiches with Chipotle Mayo – Yummy Healthy Easy. Long name, super tasty recipe.
5. Easy Individual Lasagna Cups – This Farm Girl Cooks. We LOVE these! Make a batch for dinner and take the leftovers. Or, make a batch just for lunches! These taste JUST as good at room temperature as they do warm. Just to be sure, I did some quality control taste testing. The things I do for you…
6. Hot Dog on a Bun. This one is awesome. First of all, you can deliver or pack in a cooler for later. Before you deliver, simply add condiments and wrap in foil.
7. Eggplant Panini with Pesto – Skinnytaste. Don’t let the fancy name fool you, I’ve made these for our family and they are GOOD and they’re a portable meal idea! If you think your farmer (or family) will turn their nose up at them, give them a new name. Any ideas, anyone??
8. Chicken Avocado BLT Wrap – Very delicious and pretty self explanatory!
Easy on the go lunch ideas for adults
9. Chicken Caesar Salad Wrap – Buy a package of caesar salad mix and make it. Add grilled chicken. Wrap in tortilla of your choice. Boom.
10. Butternut Squash and Spinach Quesadillas – The Dinner Mom. I wouldn’t give you recipes I don’t recommend. I’ve tried this one and I can assure you, it’s farmer approved. Sometimes people need a little nudge outside the box. Why not?
11. Egg McMuffin Sandwich – This Farm Girl Cooks. Here’s the scoop – the nearest McDonalds is a 20 minute drive, so I do what any farm wife would do and figured out how to make them at home. Now you can do the same!
More portable lunch ideas
12. Hot Italian Sandwiches – Wonky Wonderful. Simple recipe, easy assembly, quick and easy!
13. Mini Baked Ham Sandwiches – Kings Hawaiian. There are many variations on this recipe, but they are SO yummy! They can be baked and sit a bit if needed. They may be a little messy so send the wet wipes with this.
14. Turkey, Provolone and Pesto Panini – This Farm Girl Cooks. Deli meat and jarred pesto make this sandwich ready to go in minutes. It soars in the flavor factor! If you’re really feeling adventurous, add some roasted red peppers, too!
15. Slow Cooker Meatball Subs – Use pre-made meatballs and simmer in the slow cooker with some jarred marinara, or use crushed tomatoes and add some garlic and Italian seasoning. Serve in a hoagie bun with lots of melted mozzarella. It can get messy, but keep this in mind…
Sidenote: As a hungry pregnant woman, I could eat an entire order of Nachos Bel Grande (with hot sauce, mind you) while driving. If I can do that, a hungry farmer can manage this sandwich – promise.
More handheld food ideas
16. Spinach and Grilled Cheese on Pita – Peas & Crayons. A spin on the classic grilled cheese.
17. Apple Orchard Panini – Iowa Girl Eats. This recipe is on point. Give this one a try!
18. Honey Biscuit Ham Sandwiches – This Farm Girl Cooks. Honey butter is melted into ham, egg and Biscuit Breakfast Sandwiches. These make ahead breakfast sandwiches are hearty, salty & sweet all in one!
19. Turkey Ranch Bacon Club – Organize Yourself Skinny. Pretty self explanatory, no?
20. Tuna Salad Sandwich – Corn, Beans, Pigs, Kids. This is my pal Val’s recipe (hey, that rhymes!). It has light cream cheese in it and is a delicious spin on the regular tuna salad. She’s verified that it’s tractor approved!
21. Peanut Butter and Jelly – Yep, the old fashioned go-to. Why not? Check out how I make my own homemade uncrustables here!
22. Honey Mustard Grilled Chicken Sandwiches. They’re tender, they’re juicy. They can be made ahead of time and they’re delish!
23. Pulled Pork Lettuce Wraps – Now let’s be honest, the lettuce isn’t going to be a tractor driver’s best friend. So change it up a little and make it into a traditional wrap. Delicious and made with whole food ingredients. What’s not to love??
24. Slow Cooker Shredded Buffalo Chicken – Use this recipe to make buffalo chicken sandwiches, sliders, wraps and more!
25. Greek Chicken Salad Wraps Recipe uses leftover chicken, Greek Yogurt, and has a powerhouse of flavor! Add this to your field meals list, friends!!
I hope you find these ideas helpful! What’s your favorite on the go lunch idea?
Other on the go meal ideas for you:
- Field Meals – Lunchbox Edition
- 7 Tractor Friendly Ideas
- School Lunch Ideas for Kids
- Cold Lunch Ideas for Work
Note: I may use referral or affiliate links for the products I love.