My friends continually ask me for my homemade sloppy joes recipe. Requests like this make me a very happy lady.
I mean, one of the best food compliments is when someone asks for your recipe, right? And I love that this sloppy joe recipe recipe is humble, simple, and kid-approved.
What IS a sloppy joe, anyway?
The origins to this tasty sandwich are somewhat elusive.
The simple answer is, a sloppy joe is a sandwich is made with ground beef, tomato sauce, and some seasonings.
But where did it come from?
Some say the sloppy joe recipe came from a cafe in Sioux City, Iowa. A cook named Joe added tomato sauce to his loose meat sandwich, creating the Sloppy Joe.
Now I’m confused. Iowa folks, help me out.
Isn’t that a Maid Rite sandwich? Or is that something entirely else?
Others say that the original sandwich began at a restaurant in Key West, called Sloppy Joe’s Bar.
And, somewhere I also read that the sandwich concept came from Cuba at a place called Sloppy Joe’s saloon.
I think it’s clear we’re not going to get a straight answer here.
Let’s move on, because it doesn’t really matter WHERE it came from, the point is, you should make this and then eat it.
Homemade Sloppy Joes as a Freezer Meal
That’s right, as an added benefit, homemade sloppy joes make an awesome, ready to heat freezer meal.
Make a double recipe of this and freeze the leftovers in a gallon sized, ziplock type bag.
You’ll thank me later when you’re freaking out about what’s for dinner because your family is running in five different directions.
I feel your pain.
Pull this out of your freezer, drive right on past the golden arches and eat the joes.
Does that sound too bossy???
Pair them with some chips and fresh fruit and you’re good to go!
Oh, and one more thing…
You’ve gotta serve homemade sloppy joes on cheap white buns, too. No fancy brioche, or sesame buns. Basic is best.
If you want to make a healthy sloppy joe, you could of course, substitute ground lean turkey in for the beef. But nothing quite beats the taste of the original.
I mean, in my humble opinion.
Other recipes you’ll like:
- One Pot Chili Mac and Cheese
- Individual Lasagna Cups
- Classic Chili for a Crowd
- 23 Easy Dinner Recipes for Families
So give this a try and tag me at #thisfarmgirlcooks when you make a recipe! I’d love to see what you’re making, and feature you in a future newsletter 🙂Made with love,
Homemade Sloppy Joes
- ½ medium onion , diced
- 1 T oil (optional)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup ketchup
- ¼ cup water
- 1 celery stalk , diced
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp yellow mustard
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- Heat large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil (optional) and cook onion until it begins to soften, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add ground beef and cook until browned, stirring occasionally. Drain the onion and ground beef mixture and return to the pan.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook on low for 20-30 minutes until flavors combine. Serve on soft white hamburger buns. Enjoy!
TO MAKE AS A FREEZER MEAL
- Label a gallon sized freezer bag. Cook ground beef and drain fat. Allow to cool and add to the freezer bag. Add remaining ingredients to the freezer bag. Remove excess air and lay flat to freeze.
TO COOK FROM A FREEZER MEAL
- Thaw. In a large skillet, simmer contents of freezer bag for 20-30 minutes until vegetables are tender and flavors combine.
PIN THIS FOR LATER!
I may earn money as an affiliate from certain product links within posts. I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe you will find helpful.