Grab a bowl to ladle up some Healthy Buffalo Chicken Soup! It's hearty, delicious and a perfect chili recipe during the cold winter months.
What is buffalo chicken soup?
First, let me say...
I don't know what it is with my taste buds, but they love all things Buffalo Chicken!
I just can't get enough!!
I took all the flavors of buffalo chicken that you'd get at your local wingstop, buffalo wild wings, or local bar food. Instead of picking up a buffalo chicken sandwich, we're spooning bites of deliciousness.
Since I love it so much, I made this veggie packed version of a skinny buffalo chicken soup!
Why I love this Buffalo Chicken Soup
- It's also warm and served in a bowl which makes it perfect for cold weather.
- It has healthy soup ingredients like sautéed carrots, celery and onions and homemade chicken stock. The good for you stuff!
- It's made on the stovetop like my Dutch Oven Chicken Noodle Soup, keeping things in one pan
- It's simple to make but is full of flavor!
- There are all wholesome, delicious ingredients in this soup
Ingredients in buffalo chicken soup
- olive oil - to saute your vegetables
- celery, onion, carrot - technically, if you want to get all fancy pants this is called a mirepoix. I just like to call them soup veggies, because you see them in lots and lots of soup.
- sweet potato - to up the healthy factor, plus it tastes delicious. Sweet potatoes have fiber, beta carotene, potassium and other vitamins.
- spices - garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt and paprika. These provide heaps of flavor and the paprika makes the soup even richer looking
- tomato sauce - to add richness, acidity and taste
- chicken stock - low sodium or even homemade chicken broth if you have it. I make it ahead of time and freeze it.
- cooked, cubed chicken breast - you can use chicken breasts or chicken thighs. Leftover chicken from a rotisserie chicken works great, too!
- hot sauce - we use Frank's original Hot Sauce but you can use whatever your wing sauce preference is. Two tablespoons was about perfect for us. Three tablespoons and we were breaking a sweat. You decide here, friends!
- Condiments for serving : shredded cheese, blue cheese crumbles, avocado slices, or sliced green onions are all great options!
You can add some cubed cream cheese at the end if you want to make this into creamy buffalo chicken soup. It's delicious as well!
Add some shredded cheddar or monterey jack cheese to make these double cheesy buffalo chicken soup!
How to make Buffalo Chicken Soup
Grab your favorite soup pot and add the sweet potato and aromatics, plus a little olive oil. Get everything sizzling over medium heat. Cook for about 5 minutes until the veggies start to get tender.
Add the spices and cook for about 30 seconds before you add the tomato sauce and chicken stock.
Give all that a stir, then add your cooked chopped or shredded chicken.
Reduce the heat to low and let the buffalo chicken soup simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, you can get your toppings ready to go!
Add a little buffalo sauce and stir that in.
Remove from heat and serve with your choice of toppings.
Can I freeze buffalo chicken soup?
Yes, you sure can! Let the soup cool and ladle into freezer safe containers. Remove any excess air (or as much as you can), label, and freeze.
Soup will keep in the freezer for 3-4 months.
Other healthy soup recipes:
- Chicken Fajita Soup
- Creamy Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup
- Instant Pot Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
If you made this Buffalo Chicken Soup recipe, leave a recipe review or comment below. I'd love to hear from you
Healthy Buffalo Chicken Soup
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and diced into ½ inch cubes
- ½ large onion diced
- 3 celery stalks sliced
- 1 carrot diced (or two handfuls of sliced baby carrots)
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 pound cooked cubed chicken breast
- 2 tablespoon Frank's original Hot Sauce
- Condiments for serving shredded cheese, crumbled blue cheese, sliced green onion
- Heat a medium sized pot over medium high heat. Add the olive oil, sweet potato, carrots, celery and onion. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring, until vegetables begin to soften and brighten. Add minced garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt, and paprika and cook for 30 seconds, stirring. (Don't burn the garlic, so stirring is important here!)
- Add the tomato sauce and chicken stock. Stir to incorporate. Add the cooked, diced chicken, stir to combine and reduce heat to medium low. Cover with a lid
- Cook on low to medium-low for 20 minutes until flavors have blended, stirring occasionally. Add hot sauce and stir. Remove from heat and serve with your choice of toppings.