Grab a bowl to ladle up some Healthy Buffalo Chicken Soup! It’s hearty, delicious and a perfect chili recipe during the cold winter months.
I don’t know what it is with my taste buds, but they love all things Buffalo Chicken! From Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash to Slow Cooker Shredded Buffalo Chicken to no-chicken but equally delicious Cauliflower Buffalo Bites. I just can’t get enough!!
Why I love this Buffalo Chicken Soup
- It’s also warm and served in a bowl which makes it perfect for cold weather.
- It has healthy soup ingredients like sautéed carrots, celery and onions and homemade chicken stock. The good for you stuff!
- It’s simple to make but is full of flavor!
- There are all wholesome, delicious ingredients in this soup
- olive oil – to saute your vegetables
- celery, onion, carrot – technically, if you want to get all fancy pants this is called a mirepoix. I just like to call them soup veggies, because you see them in lots and lots of soup.
- sweet potato – to up the healthy factor, plus it tastes delicious. Sweet potatoes have fiber, beta carotene, potassium and other vitamins.
- spices – garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt and paprika. These provide heaps of flavor and the paprika makes the soup even richer looking
- tomato sauce – to add richness, acidity and taste
- 2 cups chicken stock – low sodium or even homemade bone broth if you have it. I make it ahead of time and freeze it.
- cooked, cubed chicken breast – because it’s chicken, obviously
- hot sauce – we use Frank’s original Hot Sauce but you can use whatever your preference is. Two tablespoons was about perfect for us. Three tablespoons and we were breaking a sweat. You decide here, friends!
- Condiments for serving : shredded cheese, blue cheese crumbles, avocado slices, or sliced green onion are all great options!
Other healthy soup recipes:
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 carrot, diced (or two handfuls of sliced baby carrots)
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 pound cooked, cubed chicken breast
- 2 Tbsp Frank's original Hot Sauce
- Condiments for serving (shredded cheese, blue cheese crumbles, sliced green onion)
- Heat a medium sized pot over medium high heat. Add the olive oil, sweet potato, carrots, celery and onion. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring, until vegetables begin to soften and brighten. Add minced garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt, and paprika and cook for 30 seconds, stirring. (Don't burn the garlic, so stirring is important here!)
- Add the tomato sauce and chicken stock. Stir to incorporate. Add the cooked, diced chicken, stir to combine and reduce heat to medium low. Cover with a lid
- Cook on low to medium-low for 20 minutes until flavors have blended, stirring occasionally. Add hot sauce and stir. Remove from heat and serve with your choice of toppings.
The amount of hot sauce used is entirely up to you. We tried 3 Tbsp and that was a little too spicy for us. 2 Tbsp seemed just right for our taste buds.
We like Franks Red Hot Sauce but you can substitute your favorite.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 372Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 105mgSodium 1339mgCarbohydrates 22gFiber 4gSugar 9gProtein 42g