A fresh marinated green bean salad with tomatoes, feta, and homemade dressing! This healthy side dish is a rainbow of colors and is perfect for family dinners, get together parties and summer cookouts.
If you're looking for a way to shake up your potlucks and dinnertime, using simple ingredients, then this green beans recipe is for you.
From kicking off the start of summer with Memorial Day weekend allll the way to Labor Day, this is one of those dinner recipes you'll want to make all summer long.
Cold green beans are so refreshing, and they're easy to grow in my garden. So planting them and enjoying them every year is kind of a no brainer. You can freeze green beans for later, too!
The combination of crunchy green beans, juicy grape tomatoes and salty feta is like a flavor explosion in your mouth. And I mean that in the best possible way, not the neighbors firing off 4th of July fireworks kinda way.
Even better, this easy green bean salad can be made ahead of time and you can serve it cold or at room temperature! You know how much I love a make ahead dish.
No scrambling at the last hour, no breaking a sweat trying to throw a last minute dish together for the neighborhood BBQ. That's a win!
How to Make Marinated Green Bean Salad
Start a large pot of water, add some salt, and get it boiling. Now, before we get started making our perfect green bean salad, here's a tip.
Listen up because this will make or break your green beans.
Add your green beans to the boiling water and cook them for just a few minutes. We're talking three minutes or four minutes max. We want the beans to still have a little bite to them so they'll hold up in the salad dressing.
If you don't want to heat up the kitchen, you can make green beans in the Instant Pot.
Right when they're done cooking, drain the green beans into a strainer and put them into a big bowl of ice water. This prevents them from continuing to cook!
Remove the green beans from the ice water and lay on a towel to dry. Give 'em a little pat to dry them off - you don't want a watery salad.
Add the tomatoes, olive oil, and red wine vinegar to the large bowl. Add the green beans and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Gently fold in crumbled Feta cheese.
Recipe for green bean salad
There are only six, count 'em, SIX ingredients in this healthy side dish.
- fresh green beans, tips removed and cut in half
- grape tomatoes - these are easy to prep but you can use whatever type of tomato you have around.
- extra virgin olive oil and red wine vinegar - to make a simple vinegar based dressing.
- salt and black pepper
- Feta cheese - a salty and cool addition
If you're dying to make this salad and you don't have fresh green beans, you can use frozen green beans as a substitute. The cooking time is even shorter because they've already been blanched. Just a quick dip to thaw them and season them and you're good to go.
You could even use canned green beans but my personal preference is to use fresh green beans or frozen green beans.
Add thinly sliced red onions if you love those! If the flavor seems too strong, you can soak them for 15-20 minutes in ice water to mellow the flavor.
Some briny kalamata olives would be delicious in place of, or in addition to, the feta cheese.
How to Serve Marinated Green Bean Salad
You can serve marinated green beans immediately, or you can chill the salad and serve cold, making this an awesome meal prep recipe.
Serve this marinated bean salad with pretty much any food you'd throw on the grill or heat in a skillet.
It's delish. Promise.
Other side dish salad recipes:
- Creamy Mayo Free Potato Salad
- Quick & Healthy Pasta Salad Recipes
- Green Bean & Asparagus Salad
- Mediterranean Chopped Salad
- Grilled Corn Salad
If you make this cold marinated green bean salad, leave a review below!
Marinated Green Bean Salad with Tomatoes and Feta
- 1½ lbs. fresh green beans tips removed and cut in half
- 1 pint grape tomatoes washed and cut in half
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 cup Feta cheese crumbled
- Over high heat, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add green beans and cook until crisp tender, approximately 3-4 minutes. Drain the green beans and then transfer to a large bowl of ice water to prevent further cooking. Remove green beans from the ice bath and pat dry before adding to a large bowl. Add the tomatoes, olive oil, and vinegar to the bowl and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Gently fold in crumbled Feta cheese and serve immediately. Salad can also be chilled and served cold.