Instant Pot Wild Rice Pilaf with Mushrooms is a warm and hearty side dish. Cook this ahead of time in your Instant Pot to serve with a holiday meal or as a weeknight dinner side!
Some of the best ways to manage prepping holiday meals are by making dishes in advance, and utilizing your slow cooker and Instant Pot.
This gluten free recipe does both things! You can make this rice pilaf a day or two ahead of time, then simply reheat and serve.
Ingredients in wild rice pilaf
You may be thinking, “what the heck is pilaf,” anyway?
Pilaf is a rice side dish cooked with broth, seasonings and vegetables. A wild rice blend made with white and brown rice, red rice and wild rice is what we’re using to make this side dish.
No fancy rice blend needed. I bought mine at Aldi. You can use the extras in my Creamy Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup.
Here we’re using chicken broth or vegetable broth – your choice. We’re adding rosemary, parsley and garlic for flavor plus onions, carrots, celery and mushrooms.
Another interesting fact, not mentioned in the Merriam Webster…It makes the house smell downright delicious!
How to Make Instant Pot Wild Rice Pilaf
The holidays are such a great time to utilize your programmable pressure cooker, aka Instant Pot.
Here’s how it’s going down.
STEP 1: Saute your vegetables
Turn your Instant Pot onto saute and add the olive oil. Then add the carrots, onion, celery, mushrooms, and garlic.
Add a touch of salt and pepper. Not a ton, just a touch.
Stir for about five minutes until the veggies soften.
STEP 2: Add the rice and other ingredients
Add the wild rice (give it a rinse first), broth, and rosemary and stir to combine. Season with additional salt and black pepper, just a touch.
I’m gonna break in here with a little farm girl fact. Bear with me.
Fancy recipes probably call for fresh rosemary and parsley, but in my neck of the woods, I don’t have these at the ready.
What I DO always have in my stocked pantry are dried herbs and spices. So we’re keeping things simple and using those.
No flavor is compromised in this shortcut, and you keep a little extra in your pocketbook. It’s a win! Moving on….
STEP 3: Cook the mixture
Add the lid and set the pressure valve to “seal.” Select the “Manual” cooking option on the high setting and set cooking time to 15 minutes.
When the rice is done cooking, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, and then do a quick release for any remaining pressure.
Turn the unit off and let sit for 5 additional minutes. Remove lid and fluff the rice with a fork while stirring in one tablespoon parsley and the toasted almonds, if desired.
We save the toasted almonds for super fancy dinner night, but you make this pilaf however you want!
I make this in my 6 quart Instant Pot and cook it for 15 minutes. You could also double the recipe and it will still fit in your pot.
I hope you’ll give my wild rice mushroom pilaf a try!
Instant Pots have you baffled? No worries, friend! I’ve got you covered in my Instant Pot Basics 101 overview.
Other Instant Pot side dishes you’ll love:
Made with love,
Note: I may use referral or affiliate links for the products I love.
Instant Pot Wild Rice Pilaf
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large carrots finely grated
- ½ medium red onion diced fine
- 2 large stalks celery diced fine
- 8 oz. mushrooms sliced
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 cup wild rice blend rinsed well
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds toasted (optional)
- Add olive oil to Instant Pot® and select the Sauté function. Set to high and once the display reads “hot,” add carrots, red onion, celery, mushrooms, and minced garlic. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and cook, stirring continually, until the veggies soften and the mushrooms start to release their liquid, approximately 5 minutes. Turn unit off.
- Add wild rice, broth, and rosemary and stir to combine. Season with additional salt and black pepper, if desired.
- Add the lid and set the pressure valve to “seal.” Select the “Manual” cooking option on the high setting and set cook time to 15 minutes. When done cooking, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, and then do a quick release for any remaining pressure. Turn the unit off and let sit for 5 additional minutes.
- Remove lid and fluff the rice with a fork while stirring in one tablespoon parsley and the toasted almonds, if desired.