Level up your holiday desserts with the rich and indulgent flavor of bourbon whipped cream. This four ingredient recipe transforms ordinary whipped cream into a boozy delight, perfect for topping pies, cakes, and more.
Whipping up some bourbon-infused whipped cream is a super tasty way to amp up the flavor of your favorite fall desserts. It adds a cool touch of richness to that'll take your old fashioned chocolate pie and Instant Pot hot chocolate to the next level!
Why you'll love this recipe
Easy to Make: Let's be honest, we all want to hit the easy button. This bourbon whipped cream feels fancy, but it's super-duper easy.
Perfect for Special Occasions and Holidays: This adds a touch of luxury to Thanksgiving, Christmas, special occasions and celebrations. Whether it's a holiday feast or a dinner party, this flavorful topping can turn a simple dessert like apple crisp into a memorable experience.
Flavor: That's what we're here for, right? Bourbon lovers will love the addition of a distinct and rich flavor to plain old whipped cream. Something about the combination of sweet cream and the warm, caramel notes of bourbon creates a luxurious taste experience.
You'll only need four ingredients to transform into bourbon whipped cream.
- powdered sugar - Not only does confectioner's sugar add a touch of sweetness, it also stablalizes the whipped cream. This means it will hold it's shape for a longer time.
- bourbon - I used a locally crafted bourbon from Whiskey Acres Distilling Co. You can use whatever kind of bourbon is your favorite in this recipe. You can use the leftovers in no bake bourbon balls!
- heavy whipping cream - this might also be labeled as whipping cream at the grocery store. It's a high fat type of milk that makes it great for making a light and fluffy whipped cream.
See recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
- Bourbon substitution - If you want a non-alcoholic version, you can substitute a bourbon extract or a non-alcoholic bourbon.
- Sugar substitute - If you're looking for a lower-sugar option, you can use honey or real maple syrup as a natural sweetener. Adjust the quantity based on your desired sweetness. Just keep in mind that the powdered sugar serves as a stabilizer and the other sweeteners will not. With that said, you'll want to serve immediately.
How to make bourbon whipped cream
Here's how to make this (not too) sweet treat!
Step #1: Pour cold heavy whipping cream into the chilled mixing bowl.
Begin whipping the cream on low speed. As it thickens, you can gradually increase the speed to medium.
When the cream starts to thicken, add the powdered sugar. Continue whipping until soft peaks form, as shown above.
Step #2: Add the bourbon. Start with a smaller amount and taste as you go. Remember, you can always add more, but you can't take it back!
Step #3: Whip the cream until it reaches stiff peaks. Taste and adjust the sweetness or bourbon if necessary.
Serve or chill until ready to be served. This is a perfect topping for vanilla ice cream or apple slab pie. Or both!
Hint: Use a metal or glass bowl for whipping cream. Plastic bowls can retain oils, and any trace of fat can prevent the cream from whipping properly.
- You can try other flavored extracts, such as almond or hazelnut, to add a unique twist.
Tips to make this ahead of time
Because we added the powdered sugar, the bourbon whipped cream will hold its shape a little longer. Here are some other tips to make your whipped cream ahead of time.
Underwhip the cream slightly, stopping just before it reaches stiff peaks. This gives it some room to be re-whipped just before serving.
When you're ready to serve, give the whipped cream a quick re-whip to restore the peaks and texture.
Be careful not to overwhip your whipped cream, or you'll have butter! Delicious, but bourbon butter is not our goal!
Store the whipped cream in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
If you tried bourbon whipped cream or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the comments. Hungry for more? Be sure to stay in touch on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Looking for other dessert recipes? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with bourbon whipped cream:
Bourbon Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1.5 Tablespoons bourbon adjust to taste
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract optional
- Chill your equipment: If you can swing it time-wise, put a glass or metal mixing bowl and beaters in the refrigerator for about 15-20 minutes. This helps the cream whip up faster.
- Pour the cold heavy whipping cream into the chilled mixing bowl.Begin whipping the cream on low speed. As it thickens, you can gradually increase the speed to medium.
- When the cream starts to thicken, add the powdered sugar. Continue whipping until soft peaks form, about 1 minute.
- Add the bourbon. Start with a smaller amount and taste as you go. Remember, you can always add more, but you can't take it back!
- Optional but delicious: add a teaspoon of vanilla extract for an extra layer of flavor.
- Whip the cream until it reaches stiff peak, about 1-3 minutes. Taste and adjust the sweetness or bourbon if necessary. Do not overbeat!