Make a batch of Instant Pot Cheeseburger Soup for the ultimate comfort food! This healthier version of soup is made with ground beef, potatoes, and loads of freshly shredded cheddar cheese!
I’m the kinda gal who will eat soup all year round. But as the days are growing shorter and the weather grows cooler, soup is on my mind all the time.
Note: I may use referral or affiliate links for the products I love.
Instant Pot Cheeseburger Soup
When harvest at the farm rolls around, you better believe I’m reaching for this cheeseburger soup recipe. I’ve made this into a healthier version while keeping the soup creamy, rich and completely satisfying.
Tips to make Cheeseburger Soup
- You can also make this soup in your crockpot. Brown and drain your ground beef and add it to your slow cooker. Add everything except the cream and cheese. Cook for 6-7 hours until potatoes are tender, then add the cream and cheese as directed in the recipe.
- I like to use red potatoes for this recipe, but you can substitute whatever you have on hand.
- Use frozen, cooked Instant Pot ground beef to save about 5 minutes
- I like the flavor of beef broth but you can use vegetable broth or even chicken broth in a pinch.
- My Instant Pot Cheeseburger Soup is made without Velveeta. If you want to hold this soup over for a while, you may want to substitute a portion of the cheese.
- Top with whatever your favorite burger toppings are – do I hear bacon? How about pickles? Have fun with it!
- Want to sneak some veggies in? Try adding grated carrot for some extra nutrition and color, too!
Cheeseburger Soup Ingredients
I made this recipe a little lighter and a little healthier by using all pretty “clean” ingredients. I don’t like that word, but I don’t know what else to call it! Minimally processed? Real? I don’t know.
What I do know is this soup is pretty good for you! It has:
- olive oil
- ground beef (which we always, always have in our freezer)
- Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper
- red potatoes
- beef broth
- heavy cream (okay, a little splurge here to keep the soup rich and creamy)
- cheddar cheese
So when I say it’s “good” soup, I mean that you can pronounce all the ingredients within these ingredients.
Can I freeze cheeseburger soup?
While I love finding a way to freeze everything under the sun, this one is not freezer friendly. Like, it’s a hard no.
Because it has so much dairy, it will separate and not only will it not look good, it won’t taste great either.
So do yourself a favor and make it, enjoy, and then make it again – soon!
More healthy soup recipes
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 lb red potatoes, diced
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 4 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 Tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- salt and pepper
- Add oil to your Instant Pot and select "Saute". Once oil is heated (it will get shiny), add the diced onion and ground beef. Add the Italian seasoning and a bit of salt and pepper.
- Use a spoon to break up the ground beef and stir, cooking until the ground beef and onion are cooked through. Cancel the "saute" function. Drain the meat mixture if needed and return to the pot.
- Add potatoes and broth to the pot. Add lid and lock into place. Set to seal and pressure cook for 3 minutes. Allow to naturally pressure release (NPR) for 10 minutes, then do a quick release for any remaining steam.
- Place heavy cream in a measuring cup and add 2-3 tablespoons of the hot liquid from the pot. Stir to combine, then add the cream mixture to your pot. (this is called tempering and will keep the cold cream from curdling when it joins the hot broth)
- Add your shredded cheddar cheese, one cup at a time, stirring after each addition to melt your cheese. Serve with a sprinkle of paprika, parsley, and extra cheese if you'd like. (yes please!!)
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1 grams
Amount Per Serving Calories 673Total Fat 53gSaturated Fat 27gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 160mgSodium 988mgCarbohydrates 15gFiber 2gSugar 2gProtein 35g