This Turkey, White Bean & Kale Soup is healthy comfort food and can be cooked in the slow cooker making it perfect for a busy weeknight meal.
I’m a huge fan of soup and I believe soup season lasts all year long!
From old fashioned chicken noodle soup to chicken fajita soup, I can’t possibly narrow it down to just one favorite.
So why the soup love? Well, soups are easy to make and you can adapt recipes to whatever ingredients you have on hand. There’s no reason why you have to follow a recipe entirely which is the case in this handy recipe, too!
This time of year, ground turkey soup sounds like perfection! In fact, I’m watching my hubby combine across the road while the soup is cooking in the slow cooker.
Sounds very Norman Rockwell, right? Well don’t worry, in 15 minutes the bus will pull out and the house will feel more like an episode of the Simpsons.
BUT…..dinner will keep cooking amongst the chaos which is a win in my book!
Variations for Turkey, White Bean and Kale Soup
Okay, back to the soup and all the glorious ways you can switch up this ground turkey white bean kale soup recipe.
As I have the recipe written it calls for sweet potato, kale, and cannellini, or white beans.
TURKEY: The recipe calls for ground turkey. Here’s how to switch things up:
- use leftover turkey from Thanksgiving
- use turkey sausage instead of plain ground turkey to make turkey sausage and kale soup
KALE: As for the kale, I know, I know. Not everyone is a fan. But the fact is, it’s really healthy!
You can substitute swiss chard, rainbow shard or any hearty green. Spinach even works, though it won’t need to cook in the slow cooker the entire time.
MEATLESS: Leave out the turkey and make it a kale and white bean soup
SEASONING: The seasoning in this recipe lends itself to a Tuscan turkey kale soup with basil, oregano, rosemary, and thyme. Instead of using Italian seasoning you can use one kind of blend.
TOPPINGS: Use some fresh ground pepper or grated Parmesan cheese to top this hearty soup. While you’re add it, add a slice of crusty baguette!
As with many soup recipes, this soup tastes even better the second day. So feel free to simmer away and then reheat as necessary for lunches or an easy dinner.
Note: I may use referral or affiliate links for the products I love.
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 cups kale, washed and cut into pieces
- 14 oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 16 ounces lean ground turkey
- 8 cups chicken broth needed for cooking day
TO MAKE FRESH
- Add all ingredients to a 6 quart slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-7 hours or until turkey is cooked through. Use a large spoon to break up the turkey.
TO MAKE AS A FREEZER MEAL
- Label a gallon sized freezer bag. Add all ingredients EXCEPT chicken brown to the freezer bag. Remove excess air and lay flat to freeze. Label chicken broth and set aside for cooking day.
- To cook from a freezer meal, add contents of bag and reserved chicken broth. Follow cooking instructions as outlined above.
Did you love this turkey, white bean and kale soup? Please leave a review below!
Other soup recipes: