Our family loves stocking our freezer by meal prepping breakfast burritos. These freezer breakfast burritos are full of cheese, egg and sausage they are perfect for breakfast on the go. Or hey, make them a field meal and have breakfast for dinner!
This is a great breakfast burrito to freeze for later or stash in your fridge for now!
This post was originally posted on 9/4/19 and was updated 9/14/20. Recipe and content may have been updated for clarity. And likely, vanity. Who doesn’t love a pretty burrito pic?
Freezer Friendly Breakfast Burritos
These make ahead breakfast burritos are perfect for busy times, like harvest, around here. When we need a grab and go breakfast and you’re headed to the corn field (or even the baseball field), you can skip the drive thru and heat one of these breakfast burritos instead.
Breakfast time, we’ve got you covered….
5 Ingredients in Meal Prep Breakfast Burritos
My meal prep recipe below uses:
- Eggs: scrambled. Stop cooking them just before you think they’re ready. They’ll cook in the pan a bit even after you pull them off of the heat.
- Sausage – Usually I use a pound of pork breakfast sausage but you could also substitute turkey sausage or even sausage links or patties, cut into strips.
- Salsa – use whatever your favorite is. I like to use a slightly thicker variety.
- Cheese – I use cheddar cheese and I shred it myself. It doesn’t have anything added to it this way which makes it meltier and somehow, better!
- Flour tortillas: I buy burrito size so they’re easy to roll
Other ingredient ideas for breakfast burritos
Hmmm, let’s think of all the sorts of burrito combinations we could make!
Substitute bacon or ham for the sausage or add a different cheese like shredded Swiss, Monterey jack or Pepper Jack cheese for a little heat. Drizzle it with siracha. Add some jalapenos.
Add hash brown or diced potatoes, peppers, onions….anything is fair game here! Have at it, friends!
How to make Meal Prep Breakfast Burritos
- Cook the eggs: Scramble the eggs in a medium sized skillet until cooked and then add cooked sausage and salsa. Allow the mixture to cool slightly.
- Warm tortillas: I like to heat the tortillas in the microwave for 20 seconds or so, covered with a damp paper towel. This makes them more pliable for rolling.
- Fill the burritos: Add a portion of the egg and sausage mixture to your flour tortilla, topped with a healthy portion of shredded cheese.
- Roll, burrito style.
How to Freeze Breakfast Burritos
To freeze your burritos for later, cover a sheet pan with waxed paper or parchment. Place in the freezer until the burritos are firm. Then, transfer the frozen burritos to a zip top baggie or other freezer safe container.
Oh, and label your bags before you put them in the freezer! Ask me how I know!!!
You can add the date if you’d like. Ours have never stayed in the freezer longer than a week or two, so I don’t bother.
Can I reheat breakfast burritos?
Yes, these burritos can be reheated!
You can thaw breakfast burritos in the refrigerator overnight, or reheat from frozen. To serve, simply microwave breakfast burritos to heat through. Everything is already cooked!
How long do breakfast burritos last in the fridge?
Burritos don’t last very long in our household, but they can stay in the refrigerator for 3-4 days, or in the freezer, wrapped, for about three months.
What to Serve with Breakfast Burritos
These breakfast burritos are pretty much a meal in themselves, but I love a little fresh fruit on the side.
You can also serve salsa, sour cream or jalapeno slices with them. Or guacamole. Now we’re getting fancy!
Other Make Ahead Breakfast recipes you’ll love:
Meal Prep Breakfast Burritos
- 12 eggs beaten
- 1 pound sausage browned and drained
- ¾ cup salsa
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 24 flour tortillas
- Scramble the eggs in a skillet until cooked; add your cooked sausage and salsa. Allow to cool slightly.
- Warm tortillas in the microwave, covered with a damp paper towel for 20-30 seconds or until pliable.
- Add a portion of the egg/sausage mixture to flour tortilla, top with a portion of cheese.
- Roll, burrito style.
- To freeze: Flash freeze in the freezer on a sheet pan covered with parchment or wax paper.
- To store: Once frozen solid, place in a gallon sized ziplock bag.
- To reheat: Cook in microwave for 2 minutes or until heated through.
Here’s a shot of meal prepping breakfast burritos during harvest. No time for fancy photos here!