Quick and easy enough for a before school breakfast, and cozy enough for a weekend treat, Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal is the perfect fall breakfast!
I made a batch of soft pumpkin cookies the other day and had a little bit of leftover pumpkin puree. It was just what I needed to make an awesome batch of Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal!
This oatmeal recipe cooks up in mere minutes and makes the house smell like pumpkin pie.
You've gotta try it, friends!
You don't have to tell your family that oatmeal and pumpkin both have healthy benefits.
Oats are full of fiber and they'll keep bellies full longer.
Pumpkin is full of vitamins and antioxidants and while I'm not a nutritionist (and I don't even play one on tv) my mom brain knows enough to feel good about this!
Why I love pumpkin oatmeal
- It's warm, it's cozy and it's hearty
- It reminds me of all things autumn and that is NOW!
- Ready in only a few minutes, it's even faster than a baked oatmeal
- You can jazz it up using real maple syrup, extra milk, pecans - you name it! While I'm thinking about this, a slice of crumbled bacon in here would be divine!
Ingredients in Pumpkin Oatmeal
- old fashioned rolled oats - they're chewy and they 100% make me think of my childhood
- milk - I use whole milk because it's what I drink. You can use 2% or another milk if you'd like
- salt - just a pinch. I don't know why, I just always add it to my oatmeal. You probably should, too!
- Pumpkin puree - this is 100% pumpkin with no other ingredients added. If you want to know the difference between pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie filling, you can check that out here.
- Spices - traditional pumpkin pie spice has cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and allspice. I'm minimizing the opening of spice jars here and using everything but allspice. If you have store bought pumpkin pie spice, use just under a teaspoon of spice.
- Pecans for extra texture, crunch and deliciousness
- Maple syrup is the only sweetener here. You can use as much or little as you want.
How to Make Pumpkin Oatmeal
- Cook the Oats: In a medium sized pot, combine oats, milk and salt. Heat over medium to medium high heat and cook 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently. When the oats are tender and have reached your desired consistency, remove from heat. I like to give mine a taste and make sure they're done just the "right" way!
- Add Pumpkin and Spices: Stir in pumpkin puree, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.
- Add toppings: Top with pecans and maple syrup. Dig in!
Other Pumpkin Recipes
More oatmeal recipes
- Blueberry Baked Oatmeal
- Healthy Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies
- Slow Cooker Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal
- Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal Bake
Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 ½ cups milk
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup pumpkin puree not pumpkin pie filling
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ cup pecans optional
- 1-2 tablespoon maple syrup
- In a medium sized pot, combine oats, milk and salt. Heat over medium to medium high heat and cook 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently. When the oats are tender and have reached your desired consistency, remove from heat.
- Stir in pumpkin puree, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.
- Top with pecans and maple syrup. Dig in!