This easy baked chicken and rice casserole made without canned soup only has five ingredients making it an easy meal the whole family will enjoy!
When a recipe has ingredients you can count on one hand and is something healthy the whole family enjoys, you know you’ve got a winner.
Winner, winner, chicken dinner!
Chicken and Rice Casserole
I’ve made a very similar casserole that uses cream of mushroom soup. While it is, admittedly, delicious, it’s also much higher in sodium than this version of baked chicken and rice casserole.
Note: I may use referral or affiliate links for the products I love.
Even better, this calls for just a few ingredients I always have on hand. Ten minutes of prep and I can move on to other things while this baby bakes.
Give it a try, I think you’ll agree it’s just as good!
Other Five Ingredient Recipes You’ll Love
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 4- oz. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ medium red onion, diced
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups chicken broth
- salt and black peppe r
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Set aside.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add chicken breasts and season with salt and black pepper.Cook until golden brown, approximately 3-4 minutes per side.
- Add onion and rice to the prepared baking dish. Season with salt and black pepper and stir to combine. Pour the chicken broth over the rice and arrange the seared breasts on top of the rice mixture.
- Tightly cover with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 15-20 minutes or until the rice is cooked through.
- Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes before fluffing the rice with a fork.
Optional Step: For maximum flavor, sauté the red onion and toast the brown rice in the skillet first. When finished browning the chicken, deglaze the pan with some of the chicken broth to scrape up any brown bits left on the bottom of skillet. When finished, transfer the liquid from the skillet to the casserole dish with the rest of the chicken broth.
Serving Size1 grams
Amount Per Serving Calories 195Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 36mgSodium 714mgCarbohydrates 13gFiber 1gSugar 1gProtein 14g
Shared on Meal Plan Monday