Wild and Brown Rice with Dried Cherries is simple enough for a weeknight meal and elegant for holiday dinners.
Yes, that’s right. This dish made with wild and brown rice looks fancy but takes almost zero effort!
Don’t tell your family….
Wild and Brown Rice with Dried Cherries is one of those side dish recipes that look fancy but take almost zero effort.
I love to serve this rice dish along with a Herb Crusted Pork Loin
It’s such a nice switch from plain white rice or even brown rice.
And pork and cherries are a natural fit.
I figured if I served plain old rice one more time, I might get fired, and this is a job I’d like to keep. The rice blend was the perfect compliment to the pork and the cherries give a subtle sweet and sour element that is PERFECT!
Since I’m cooking, I figured I would share the recipe!
I used this rice blend when making it but whatever you find would work as well.
This would work really well if you wanted to serve it on Turkey Day next month. Just an idea…
Hmm, that makes me wonder, do you serve the same dishes at your Thanksgiving feast every year, or do you try new things from time to time? Just curious – let me know!!
Made with love,
- 1 T olive oil
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1 cup wild and brown rice blend
- 1.5 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 14 oz water
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- Heat oil in a medium sized saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally until onion begins to soften and begins to become transparent.
- Add rice to pan and cook for 1 minutes, stirring to coat the rice with the oil.
- Add stock, salt, pepper and water. Bring contents to a boil on medium-high heat uncovered.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for 10-15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add dried cherries and stir to combine.
Serving Size1 grams
Amount Per Serving Unsaturated Fat 0g