Happy New Year! Let me tell you, we are kicking the year off right by making a batch of Creamy Potato Soup! I think it’s an easy to make, ever so slightly healthier version of a restaurant style soup (yes, there’s bacon and cheese and stuff – I can’t help myself.) But seriously, just a few ingredients, 45 minutes, and you’ll be eating this by the spoonful, like our little guy Luke.
Our snow is almost completely melted here in Northern Illinois. It’s weird for January and sad for snow play, but good for a New Years Day walk around the farm. Also, it’s still cold enough that soup is on our weekly rotation.
Now, I’m going to let you in on a few secrets…
There are fancier versions out there – I know there are because I’ve made them before. They’re really good. But here’s one well known fact about me – I don’t like to wash extra dishes if I don’t have to. I avoid it at all costs. We already go through a million dishes a day in our family of six.
That’s why I made this recipe in one pot without the whole blender deal like you may have seen in other recipes. I’ve been there, tried that, and then I had to go wash a pot AND a blender. Problems, problems…
Also, use store bought diced hash brown potatoes. You don’t even have to wash a potato peeler, and they get super soft and creamy and wonderful. #winning
My other secret is this….cook the bacon in the pot before you start the soup. Yes, you save a dish. Yes, you add awesome bacon flavor. Yes, you add a little more fat. But if you use center cut bacon, it won’t be a crazy amount. I promise. And you don’t have to wash a pan cooking the bacon. Can you see where my head is in 2017? It’s all about less dishes. 🙂
Okay, enough secret sharing. Here’s my recipe. Try it and let me know what you think. Happy New Year, and here’s to more easy cooking!!
- 8 slices center cut bacon, cooked and crumbled (divided)
- 3 T. butter
- 32 oz chicken broth or stock (low sodium)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 32 oz frozen diced hash brown potatoes
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 oz low-fat cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- green onion (optional)
- In a slow cooker, combine chicken broth, onion powder, salt and pepper.
- Add hash browns, milk, and half of the bacon.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours, stirring occasionally, until potatoes have softened and mixture is creamy.
- Add cream cheese and 1/2 cup shredded cheddar. Stir to combine until cheeses are melted. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately. Garnish with extra bacon, shredded cheddar cheese, and green onion.