Enjoy potato soup all year round when you make Crockpot Creamy Potato Soup. No heating up the kitchen, just a big bowl of comfort eating when you walk in the door!
I made this ever so slightly healthier version of a restaurant style soup because I could literally eat soup every day, all year round.
And while there’s still some indulgences like bacon and cheese in this stuff (because I just can’t help myself), it has ingredients you can pronounce and just a handful of ingredients.
Note: I may use referral or affiliate links for the products I love.
How to Make Slow Cooker Creamy Potato Soup
There are fancier versions of crockpot creamy potato soup.
I know there are because I’ve made them before. They’re really good.
But here’s one well known fact about me. I don’t like to wash extra dishes if I don’t have to.
I avoid it at all costs. We already go through a million dishes a day in our family of six.
That’s why I made this recipe in one pot without any extra devices or gadgets. I’ve been there, tried that, and then I had to go wash a pot AND a blender. Some may call this a first world problem, I call it unnecessary.
This recipe uses store bought, diced hash brown potatoes. We’re living the dream here, we don’t even have to whip out the potato peeler. The crockpot does all the work, cooking the potatoes until they get super soft, creamy and wonderful!
If you have my make ahead bacon in your fridge or freezer, you’re already ahead of the game.
Seriously, give this soup a try. It’s going to end up on your regular rotation!
Other soup recipes you’ll love:
- Tuscan White Bean Soup with Sausage
- Creamy Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup
- Instant Pot Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Chicken Fajita Soup
This post was originally posted January 2017. It was updated in August 2020.
- 8 slices center cut bacon, cooked and crumbled, (divided)
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 32 oz chicken broth or stock, low sodium if desired
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 32 oz frozen diced hash brown potatoes
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 oz low-fat cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- green onion, optional, for garnish
- In a slow cooker, combine the chicken broth, onion powder, salt and pepper.
- Add hash browns, milk, butter and half of the bacon. Save the rest of the bacon for topping your bowls of deliciousness!
- Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours, stirring occasionally, until potatoes have softened and mixture is creamy.
- Add cream cheese and 1/2 cup shredded cheddar. Stir to combine until cheeses are melted. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately. Garnish with extra bacon, shredded cheddar cheese, and green onion.
Cooked soup can be portioned out and frozen for later.
See my instructions for Make Ahead Bacon to save time! You'll be able to pull a few slices from your fridge or freezer, ready to go!
Serving Size1 grams
Amount Per Serving Calories 462Total Fat 30gSaturated Fat 15gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 69mgSodium 935mgCarbohydrates 33gFiber 2gSugar 3gProtein 17g