Turkey Cranberry Pinwheels are an easy to make and delicious appetizer. Cranberry sauce brings tart sweetness to each bite paired with creamy cream cheese. Roll the whole thing up in tortillas and you have the perfect holiday favorite!
Turkey Cranberry Pinwheels
Who doesn’t love a pinwheel sandwich or appetizer?
Pinwheel recipes are one of my all time favorite appetizers for entertaining. All the ingredients are rolled into delicious bites of yum! Pick one up as a handheld snack or appetizer and you’re free to roam.
Not to mention, pinwheels make great field meals for my farmer friends. Handheld is key in our world and these would be a fabulous addition to cold lunch ideas!
Turkey Tortilla Roll Ups
I used spinach wraps for this recipe because of the green. The green looks pretty with the other green from baby spinach, plus the red cranberries.
But truly, you can use any kind of large flour tortilla you have.
Ingredients Needed for Turkey Cranberry Pinwheels
- Large, burrito sized tortillas – to roll up our pinwheels
- Whole cranberry sauce – for a tart and sweet burst of flavor
- Cream Cheese – to help hold our pinwheel bites together and for creaminess
- Pecans – add such an unexpected crunch, it’s perfection
- Turkey – whatever you like from your favorite deli
- Baby Spinach – just a few leaves on each wrap laid flat
- Plastic Wrap – For chilling the wraps to set. Don’t skip this step!
How to make Pinwheel Sandwiches
- Be sure to soften your cream cheese before you start. You can set it out at room temperature or carefully use your soften function on your microwave. Be sure to take off the foil wrapper first!
- Spread the softened cream cheese on each tortilla. Leave about ¼-½ inch around the side without the cream cheese.
- Top with your cranberry sauce. Use the back of a spoon or spatula to carefully spread the sauce, again staying away from the edges. Otherwise it will squish out when you roll your pinwheel sandwich.
- Sprinkle with your chopped pecans, then lay turkey and spinach flat on top.
- Make your pinwheels: Roll tortillas as tight as you can. Try to hold the turkey in place as you start so it doesn’t move while you roll. I know, this sounds weird but once you start rolling, you’ll be like, “Oh, that’s what Deanne meant!”
- Wrap the entire pinwheel wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes before slicing with a sharp knife.
Recipe Variations and Substitutions
- Leftover cranberry sauce or cranberry apple chutney can be used in place of the whole cranberry sauce
- Try leftover shredded turkey in place of the deli meat, or use other deli meat like chicken, roast beef or ham.
- Use plain flour tortillas
Other appetizer recipes you’ll love:
- Cranberry Pecan Goat Cheese Appetizer
- 12 Make Ahead Holiday Appetizers
- Layered Hummus Dip
- Pull Apart Cheesy Bacon Bread
- 3 large spinach wraps (large, burrito size)
- ⅓ cup whole cranberry sauce
- 3 ounces softened cream cheese
- 2 Tbsp. chopped pecans
- ½ pound deli turkey, thinly sliced
- 1 cup baby spinach
- Spread softened cream cheese over each tortilla, leaving ½ around all sides.. Top with cranberry sauce and spread using the back of a spoon or spatula. Again, stay away from the edges. Otherwise it will squish out when you roll your pinwheel sandwich.
- Sprinkle chopped pecans over the cranberry sauce. Lay turkey slices and spinach on top, leaving ½ inch border.
- To roll pinwheels, begin at one side and begin to roll. Make sure to hold the turkey in place as you roll or it may slide as you roll. I know, this sounds weird but once you start rolling, you’ll be like, “Oh, that’s what farm girl meant!”
- Wrap the entire roll in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes before slicing into half inch rounds using a sharp knife.
- Use leftover cranberry sauce in place of the whole cranberry sauce
- Use leftover shredded turkey in place of the deli meat
- Use plain flour tortillas
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 250Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 35mgSodium: 675mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 2gSugar: 7gProtein: 10g