Crock Pot Italian Beef Sandwiches are perfect for tailgating, whether you’re at the football stadium or in the bean field! These warm and hearty sandwiches made in the slow cooker are perfect for sharing with a crowd!
I am always on the hunt for food I can feed people on the go. Because this easy recipe comes together in minutes and cooks with hardly any effort on my part, it makes an amazing field meal and one of our family favorites.
This post may include affiliate links at additional no cost to you. I only recommend products I use and love!
Why I love Crock Pot Italian Beef
Easy – I have the seasonings in my pantry, I have the beef in my freezer. And other than pre-cutting the meat, it’s all hands off. Some people would refer to this as a slow cooker dump recipe, which is much more appetizing than it sounds.
Versatile – which means virtually everyone can eat it, provided I have a bun option available that suits everyone.
Wholesome – made with real ingredients you can pronounce!
Ready at the end of the day – I can be out and about and come how to a meal that’s cooked. Isn’t that why we all love slow cooker recipes?
This is an Italian beef recipe without Italian dressing mix. We’re basically making our own flavors using ingredients from our pantry.
- beef roast- there are several types of beef roast you can use. These cuts of beef will benefit from the slow cooking method and become tender, juicy bites of tender beef. If I had to pick a favorite, it’d be a boneless beef chuck roast. That’s kind of my go to hunk of meat!
- Garlic and onion
- Italian seasoning and oregano – to add some flavors of Italian salad dressing without any of the fillers.
- Pepperoncini peppers– even if you don’t like these little peppers on their own, their brine brings something special to the party! You can used sliced pepperoncini peppers or whole peppers
- beef broth – I use a low sodium beef broth. You could also use beer or even water, but I like to use the broth or beef stock because it concentrates the beefiness! <— I don’t know if that’s a word right there but spell check didn’t argue so we’re rolling with it.
- Hoagie buns – or other crusty rolls for serving. I usually find these in the deli section at the grocery store, but also in the bread aisle.
- Cheese – I’m a no cheese gal on my Italian beef sandwiches but my family opinion is different. Shredded mozzarella cheese or provolone cheese are both good options.
How to Make Slow Cooker Italian Beef
Step 1: Prep the Roast: Cut the roast into several large chunks. This allows the flavor to get everywhere as opposed to having to work into a big cut of meat. It also makes your shredding job easier in the end.
Step 2: Add the seasonings: Everyone into the pool – the oregano, garlic, onion, Italian seasoning and pepperoncini. Be sure to include the liquid from the pepperoncini, too.
Step 3: Cook: Every crockpot is different, but if you cook Italian beef 7-8 hours on low or 5 hours or so on high should do the trick.
Step 4: Shred beef: Remove the Italian beef from the pot and shred it on a platter using a couple of forks. Or, you can cut it into thin slices. Sometimes the roast tells me what to do!
Return it to the pot and if you can, allow it to hang out in the juices for 15-20 minutes before serving.
What goes well with Italian Beef sandwiches
Remember before when I said this is versatile? Here are a few ways you can customize your Italian beef.
Add shredded mozzarella cheese or sliced provolone cheese.
Top with giardiniera, which is pickled vegetables which are usually on the spicy side. You could also use banana peppers, hot peppers or roasted green bell peppers.
Reserve some pepperoncini pepper slices for topping
Dip your prepped sandwich into the au jus (fancy for juices) for a “dipped” version that’s messy but delicious. It’s how we love it!
What to serve with Italian Beef Sandwiches
If we’re being super simple, let’s go with chips! Step it up a little bit and make Creamy Potato Salad of your favorite pasta salad to serve alongside it.
How long to cook crock pot Italian Beef
Honestly, some of this will depend on the age and size of your slow cooker. When the meat easily shreds, it’s ready!
What to make with leftover Beef
- Use the shredded Italian beef in these roast beef sandwiches
- Serve with mashed potatoes as an Italian roast
- Freeze it for leftover
- Chop it up and add it to minestrone soup or vegetable soup.
How to store leftovers for later
Place the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for 3-4 days.
You can also freeze leftovers, including the extra cooking liquid, in a freezer safe container or freezer bag.
Other Crock Pot Beef Recipes You’ll Enjoy
These are such a great meal, I know they’ll become a favorite thing of yours as well. Give this Italian Beef crock pot recipe a try and leave a comment below!
- 5 pound rump roast or chuck roast, cut into large pieces
- 2 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 8 ounces jarred pepperoncini, undrained
- 2 cups beef broth
- For serving:
- Sturdy Italian style rolls
- Shredded mozzarella cheese or provolone cheese
- Prep Roast: Cut your roast into several large pieces and add to the slow cooker.
- Add ingredients: Add garlic, onion, Italian seasoning, oregano, jarred pepperoncini including juices and beef broth. Cook on low for 7-8 hours, or on high for 4-5 hours.
- Shred the beef: Remove the Italian beef from the pot and shred it on a platter. Return it to the pot and if you can, allow it to hang out in the juices for 15-20 minutes before serving.
Serve on rolls with cheese and extra pepperoncini, if desired.
If you are making this gluten free, be sure to use a gluten free beef broth. Some brands have additives.
- Add shredded mozzarella cheese or sliced provolone cheese.
- Top with giardiniera, which is pickled spicy vegetables, or roasted green bell peppers.
- Reserve some pepperoncini pepper slices for topping
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 526Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 200mgSodium: 531mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 63g