Carrot Bread is an easy to bake quick bread loaded with carrots but don’t worry – your family won’t notice. It’s also flavored with spices, walnuts and a healthier, reduced fat secret!
I love making a big batch of this carrot bread recipe. And since this recipe makes two loaves, or a bunch of mini loaves, it’s the perfect recipe for sharing!
While I love a good banana bread and my Hawaiian Banana Bread is one of my top recipes, this carrot bread was practically begging to be made! I had the carrots and they needed a home.
Quick breads are a favorite snack and breakfast in our household. They’re perfect for field meals, for packing in lunches, and as a morning treat.
Usually when I think of carrots and baking, I think of Carrot Cake. But this bread recipe is a slightly healthier version, and you can save the cake for dessert!
I took an old recipe from a family cookbook and made it slightly healthier.
The original recipe called for one cup of oil and I just couldn’t bring myself to do it. I mean, I’m all about making delicious food but you know me…
If I can find a shortcut or a healthier version, I am all in.
Instead, we’re using applesauce which will give us a moist bread with the perfect texture. Trust me, you won’t even notice it’s there!
Tips for Making this Quick Bread
I used a hand grater because – well, I don’t know why. I guess I didn’t feel like getting out my food processor, but you could totally let a small applicance do the grating for you.
To test doneness, insert a toothpick into the center of the loaf. If it comes out clean, (meaning only a crumb or two and no batter) then it’s done.
Carrot Bread will keep on the countertop for a week, in the refrigerator for two weeks, or can be baked and frozen for up to 2-3 months.
Oh, and it’s kid approved, too!
If you’re hosting a brunch or Easter gathering, you could bake this beforehand, freeze and thaw for serving on the event day.
This carrot bread makes two full sized loaves, or you can transform it into muffins or mini loaves. I love gifting these as mini loaves wrapped up in a simple package.
Other Yummy Bread Recipes:
- Hawaiian Banana Bread with Coconut and Pineapple
- Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- Pull Apart Cheesy Bacon Bread
- Easy Banana Bread Muffins
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1.5 cups walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, oil, eggs, applesauce and carrots. Stir to mix well.
- In a separate, medium sized bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder and one cup of the walnuts. Reserve the other 1/2 cup of walnuts for topping.Use a fork or whisk to mix the dry ingredients, then add to the carrot mixture. Mix well.
- Grease two 9×5 loaf pans and divide mixture evenly between the two pans. Top with reserved walnuts.
- Bake carrot bread for 60 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
- This recipe makes two 9×5 loaves, 4 mini loaves, or can be made into muffins.
- Pecans can be substituted for walnuts if desired.
- Applesauce can be substituted for all the oil.