This Instant Pot Sauerbraten recipe is a German-style pot roast that cooks up tender beef with delicious warm and hearty flavors.
German food is one of my favorites, especially in the fall when we’re harvesting. It’s warm, hearty comfort food that our whole family enjoys. When we're having a down day on the farm, I know it's time to whip up something Octoberfest inspired.
Whether it's German potato salad or German style pot roast, these delicious recipes are sure to put a smile my farmer's faces.
Why you’ll love Instant Pot Sauerbraten
This flavorful recipe takes the flavors of a traditional sauerbraten and the pressure cooker makes the recipe it in a fraction of the time.
The pressure cooker yields a tender cut of meat with a sweet and sour gravy. If you haven’t tried it, just do it. It’s the ultimate flavor experience!
- Beef roast - you can use top round, rump roast, eye of round, or arm roast
- low sodium beef broth
- apple cider vinegar - red wine vinegar can be substituted
- brown sugar
- bay leaf
- spices: ground allspice, ground ginger, ground cloves - I use ground spices so I don’t have to mess with making a spice bag out of cheesecloth, kitchen string and anything else I don’t typically have hanging around in my kitchen.
How to make Traditional German Sauerbraten in your Instant Pot:
Step 1: Brown meat: Set Instant Pot to the Saute setting. When it’s heated, add the oil.
Pat the roast dry. Sear the beef in the oil on both sides until browned, 4-5 minutes per side. Use a wooden spoon to scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the pot.
Add remaining ingredients except red cabbage and apples to the pot. Seal the instant pot lid and set on high pressure for 50 minutes on manual or pressure cook on high pressure. Make sure the vent is set to sealed.
Do a natural pressure release for 15-20 minutes (this means let the beef sit in the pot – don’t anything to it for 15-20 minutes). Then, move the vent to do a quick release. Remove the roast to a large bowl and slice or shred it. Add the sliced meat back into the pot and let the meat sit in the cooking liquid.
What should I serve with Instant Pot Sauerbraten
I like to serve this pot roast with store bought red cabbage and apples on the side. You could certainly make your own red cabbage and apples. This dish is also right at home with a side of egg noodles or roasted potatoes.
Other pot roast recipes
I hope you’ll give this Instant Pot Sauerbraten a try in your electric pressure cooker!
Instant Pot Sauerbraten
- 4 pound top round eye of round, or arm roast
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ¾ cup low sodium beef broth
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ onion sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 jar red cabbage and apples to serve alongside
- Set Instant Pot to the Saute setting. When it’s heated, add the oil.
- Pat the roast dry. Sear the beef in the oil on both sides until browned, 4-5 minutes per side.
- Add remaining ingredients except red cabbage and apples to the pot. Set for 50 minutes on manual OR use the Beef/Stew button. Make sure the vent is set to sealed.
- Do a natural pressure release for 15-20 minutes (this means let the beef sit in the pot – don’t anything to it for 15-20 minutes). Then, move the vent to steam and let out the pressure. Remove the roast to a large bowl and shred it. Add back into the pot and cook with the juices.
- Serve with jarred red cabbage and apples.